Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
It's an exciting time to join our Walmart Technology journey. We are seeking aSeniorSoftware Engineer.This position is part of the WalmartGlobal TechSEM Engineering team. SEM team is in charge of optimizing paid and free search forWalmart. We are tasked with optimizing ad spend on RoAS while making sure as manyads for theitems from our catalog as practical getimpressions, clicks andconversions, while doing it at scale, meaning, the traffic quality should be maintained regardless of amount of ad spend. We use data science methods to dynamically modify keyword and product ad bids across top search engine providers. The team is responsible for building data pipelines and API integrations enabling us to do so, with concerns of SLA and data quality squarely in focus, as well as building internal tool to provide our business partners control and visibility of SEM operations. Our challenge is immense. Presently, the catalog is expanding by 10s of thousands of items daily and keyword universe is growingas well.We are a highly motivated group of Big Data Geeks, Data Scientists and Applications Engineers, working in small agile groups to solve sophisticated and high impact problems. We are building smart data systems that ingest, model and analyze massive flow of data from online and offline user activity. We use cutting edge machine learning, data mining and optimization algorithms underneath it all to analyze all this data on top of Hadoop and Spark.Come join a team that is merging digital and physical, building real-time systems at scale, responding quickly to changes.
You'll sweep us off our feet if you
- Areknowledgeable inMicroservices Architecture.
- Demonstrate competencies across multiple layers of the tech stack
- Deep expertise in public cloud and streaming infrastructure. Knowledge / experience with Google and Azure public clouds
Experience indesigning and implementing large scale distributed systems
Experience working in Python, Java or Scala and well versed with functional programming
- Comfortablein hive and spark and be able to write complex map reduce jobs
- Desire to keep up with technology trends
- Have the desire to learn
You'll make an impact by
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the product development, with emphasis on scalable architecture.
- Build internal tool(s), data pipelines, analyze big datasets, find pockets of opportunities in our multi million ad universe, develop sophisticated analyzers to detect data inaccuracies in our pipelines, easy UIto provide business partners control and visibility of SEM operations.
- Assist product owners and designers in defining the product requirements by offering technical suggestions.
What you'll do
- Implement SEM features as a service that can be used by multiple teams (Marketplace vendor coops, Seller Coops) within Walmart
- Implementcritical and complex data pipelines in public clouds (Azure and GCP) fordailySEM operations and data analytics/ reporting
- Build streaming infrastructure to provide many critical signals used in optimizing performance of our Ads program
Work closely with our Data Science team to developvarious attribution modelsand build needed datasets and reporting dashboards
Build data pipelines and API integrations for tighter and smoother integrations with in house and external partner dashboards
- Usetheavailabletools of modern data science to analyze petabytes of data.
- Participates inbuildingmedium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects.Estimate effort, identify risks and plan executionby understand business problemstoprovidetechnology solutions
- Involved inengineering efforts from rapid prototypes to large-scale applications using variety of languages and tools/technology stacks
Raise the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring
Be creative and learn new skills
- Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives); identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership
- Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; bench marking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards and processes
What you'll bring
5+years of experience in design and development ofhighlyscalableapplications development
Experience is building scalable and flexible applications based on Microservices Architecture
- Expertise in Spark / Hive and other Bigdata toolsis requiredand experiencewith Airflow for ETL, Java, Node.js, Angular,React.jswill be a plus
- Familiarity with REST API, Elasticsearch, Python
- Experience with visualization tools like Tableau
Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, design patterns
Excellent debugging and problem-solving capability
- Motivated team player who goes over and above what is asked
- Strong hands-on development skills to prototype technical solutions
- Strong desire to drive change, and ability to adapt to change quickly. Proficient in new and emerging technologies
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong in Agile (Scrum) methodology
Be**nefits & Perks**
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code,but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations.Beinghuman-ledis our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the techworkplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
840 W CALIFORNIA AVE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4828, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.