Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
At Walmart, our team creates, re-imagines, and drives improvements for the sophisticated pricing systems that shape customer shopping experiences across every channel, from online and mobile to our thousands of stores. At scale, millions of products are algorithmically priced using the latest information to drive down cost for the countless families that depend on Walmart every day. Our work curates the data used for decision-making, including event-based and historical data, builds the services that execute pricing strategies using this knowledge, and measures each outcome to continuously improve.
Our software engineers collaborate with Walmart's best data scientists and domain experts to adapt to evolving markets across the nation, and we apply the latest advances to the technology we create. We love to write thoughtful, well-considered code using the best languages and tools for the cloud, and our software system designs reflect this. Our marketplace business is growing tremendously, and we are seeking strong backend engineering leads to help.
You'll sweep us off our feet if:
- You have passion for creating software, with a focus on distributed, scalable, and fault-tolerant systems.
- You enjoy turning interesting architectural challenges into clean, elegant designs that stand the test of time.
- You enable the team around you to work together more smoothly and to achieve goalstogether.
- You're an intellectually curious person who is always learning, reading, listening, and growing.
- You have exposure to ideas from data science, finance, economics, strategy, or other disciplines that broaden your perspective.
- You set high standards for the software you create, are constantly improving those creations, and help others to do the same.
- You're an organized person - who's comfortable decomposing complex challenges into manageable steps.
- You question the status quo, enjoy being innovative, and yearn to create something special that will have a positive impact to millions of customers.
What you'll do:
- Partnering with technical leads, software engineers, UX designers, business strategy and data science teams to develop the systems that power Walmart's pricing services.
- Prototyping and developing new ideas and participating across all parts of the software lifecycle from research to release.
- Designing services, balancing trade-offs and showcasing your team's incredible ideas in design review, production readiness review, and other settings within Pricing.
- Writing clean, scalable, well-tested, quality code and applying a strong knowledge of object-oriented design.
- Modeling domain relationships and data flows to reason about business problems and scenarios.
- Implementing or enhancing pricing algorithms, mechanisms for anomaly detection, deriving new datasets, and providing APIs or other mechanisms to manage them.
- Managing risk in a rapid development process through automated testing, continuous integration and deployment.
- Taking ownership of services in production, providing visibility through monitoring and alerting, and continuously improving team processes to ensure correctness and reliability.
- Troubleshooting technical issues, and leveraging your experience to help others overcome similar obstacles.
- Making measurement-driven decisions using technologies from the Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Azure Cloud, and our relational andno-SQL databases, such as Cassandra.
- Documenting and sharing knowledge about your architecture, software, operational processes and playbooks.
Demonstrating, every day, to junior members on the team what it means to be a truly amazing software engineer.
What you'll bring:
- Engineering experience with the languages and tools of the JVM, such as Java or Kotlin.
- Familiarity with common frameworks on the JVM, such as Spring, Flink, Spark, etc.
- Knowledge of distributed systems for communications, such as Apache Kafka and HTTP/REST.
- Ability to use and design for databases and caches, such as Cassandra, Hive/HDFS, SQL, Redis, etc.
- Reliable deployment experience using containerization, such as Kubernetes or Docker.
- Operational excellence using Prometheus, Grafana, xMatters, or comparable tools for monitoring and alerting.
- Software design expertise, and comfort communicating those designs using diagrams/UML and other technical writing.
- Clear communication skills, a positive outlook, and a drive to make a difference.
- B.Sc. or higher in Computer Science, Software Eng., Mathematics or related field with 4+ years of experience, or
- 6+ years of distinguished experience in professional software engineering.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It isnot designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code,but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations.Beinghuman-ledis our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
221 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN, NJ 07030, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.