Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
- All eligible associates have affordable options that include no lifetime maximum and eligible preventive care covered at 100%.
- The enhanced maternity benefit supports birth moms with up to 10 weeks of protected paid time away from work.
- Associates can take advantage of Resources for Living, a free confidential counseling and health information service.
What you'll do...
The Cortex team is the core A.I. platform powering the vision of delivering the world's best intelligent personal assistants to Walmart's customers, accessible via natural voice commands, text messages, rich UI interactions, and a mix of all of the above via multi-modal experiences.
We believe conversations are a natural and powerful user interface for interacting with technology and enable a richer customer experiences both online and in-store. We are building and designing the next generation of Natural Language Understanding (NLU) services that other teams can easily integrate and leverage, and build rich experiences: from pure voice and text shopping assistants (Siri, Google Assistant, Text to Shop), to customer care channels, to mobile apps with rich, intertwined, multi-modal interaction modes ([email protected]).
Interested in diving in?
We need solid engineers with the talent and expertise required to design, build, improve and evolve our capabilities in at least some of the following areas:
- Service oriented architecture in charge of exposing our NLU capabilities at scale and enabling increasingly sophisticated model orchestration.
- Since the service takes in traffic for a large set of Walmart customers (that is 80% of American households!), you will get to solve nontrivial challenges in terms of service scalability and availability.
- You will design and build the primitives to efficiently orchestrate model-serving microservices, taking into account their dependencies, and improving the combined latency and robustness of such microservices (e.g. fan out in parallel to N services for a single request, and reply with whichever gives the fastest answer).
- You will also bake-in functionality which can drive improved machine learning modeling and experimental design, such as A/B testing.
- Model serving and operations
- There is a constant tension between model improvements (more computations) and model serving latency. So, we are always in a quest of crunching more numbers, while preserving our SLAs, and controlling the operational costs.
- You will guide our efforts to always find the best trade-offs in terms of architecture, tooling (Tensorflow serving? / ONNYX? / Triton?) and infrastructure (CPU? / GPU?, GCP? / Azure?) for model serving based on the latest model developments and product requirements.
- In particular, you will drive principled and scientific load-testing efforts, to clearly identify the trade-offs at hands, and tune/optimize the model-serving stack.
- Tooling, infrastructure and pipelines for reproducible workflow and models, enabling rapid innovation across the entire product lifecycle.
- You will author and maintain pipelines that safely build and deploy models to production via continuous deployment.
- You will achieve scalable and efficient resource management capabilities (cloud infrastructure).
- You will provide robust and built-in diagnostics for quality control throughout.
- You will integrate or build labeling tools which can seamlessly integrate at the heart of our conversation data store (GCP, BigQuery) and intertwine multiple labeling sources of various confidence levels
Come at the right time, and you will have an enormous opportunity to make a massive impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of an innovative, mission critical product, used every day, by people you know, and which customers love.
As part of the emerging tech group, you will also have the additional opportunity of building demos, proof of concepts, creating white papers, writing blogs, etc.
Here are some of our team publications:
- Building a conversational assistant platform for voice-enabled shopping https://medium.com/walmartglobaltech/building-a-conversational-assistant-platform-for-voice-enabled-shopping-6d174cdc4131
- Using Context to Improve Intent Classification in Walmart's Shopping Assistant https://medium.com/walmartglobaltech/using-context-to-improve-intent-classification-in-walmarts-shopping-assistant-28f62d40fd17
- Making Walmart's Shopping Assistant Proactive https://medium.com/walmartglobaltech/making-walmarts-shopping-assistant-proactive-53a1764fcdee
Papers & Talks
- Semantic Representation and Parsing for Voice eCommerce (Paper and Talk) - Vivek Kaul, Shankara B Subramanya, R2K Workshop at KR 2018
- Knowledge Graphs for AI-Powered Shopping Assistants, GraphConnect 2020, Ghodrat Aalipour, Mohammed Samiul Saeef https://graphconnect2020.sched.com/event/atkC/knowledge-graphs-for-ai-powered-shopping-assistants
- Improving Intent Classification in an E-commerce Voice Assistant by Using Inter-Utterance Context (Paper + Talk) - Arpit Sharma, e-Commerce & NLP at ACL 2020 https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.ecnlp-1.6/
- Solid data skills, sound computer-science fundamentals, and strong programming experience.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in full-stack development.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language with an efficient runtime, such as Scala, Java, C++, or C#.
- Experience with at least one relational database technology such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL.
- Some level of fluency in Python (lingua-franca of our data-scientists).
- Understanding of the challenge of distributed data-processing at scale.
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch.
- A continuous drive to explore, improve, enhance, automate, and optimize systems and tools.
- Capacity to apply scientific analysis and mathematical modeling techniques to predict, measure and evaluate the consequences of designs and the ongoing success of our platform.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree or certification in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or any other related field.
- Large scale distributed systems experience, including scalability and fault tolerance.
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex data-driven software systems successfully delivered to customers
- Relentless focus on scalability, latency, performance robustness, and cost trade-offs especially those present in highly virtualized, elastic, cloud-based environments.
- Exposure to cloud infrastructure, such as Open Stack, Azure, GCP, or AWS as well as infrastructure management tech (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience building/operating highly available systems of data extraction, ingestion, and massively parallel processing for large data sets. In particular experience in building large scale data pipelines using big data technologies (e.g. Spark / Kafka / Cassandra / Hadoop / Hive / BigQuery / Presto / Airflow).
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- Familiarity with Machine Learning concepts & processes
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Math, or equivalent.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.careers.walmart.com
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Masters: Computer Science
680 WEST CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4834, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.