Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
This role is part of the Walmart eCommerce Supply Chain Strategy & Analytics team a future-focused, action-biased, data-driven department chartered with improving all aspects of the supply chain from network design to inbound/outbound transportation and multi-channel initiatives by leveraging big data. This is a high-impact and high-visibility role within the organization with expectations to deliver immediate results.
The Data Scientist, Supply Chain Strategy & Analytics, will lead various projects that deliver future operational strategies across Walmart's e-Commerce Supply Chain. The Data Scientist will be primarily responsible for (1) Leading advanced analytical modeling, simulation and optimization projects sponsored by the senior executive team, (2) Designing BI tools to visualize data and measure supply chain network heath, and (3) Owning data governance and stewardship within Supply Chain Strategy & Analytics team. He/she will support our strategic plans, both creating and implementing strategic operational improvements to enable expansion of our business's scope and scale.
A Data Scientist is responsible for analyzing large data sets, developing custom models and authoring deployable algorithms. Data Scientists typically work within project teams to provide technical and analytical leadership and are also responsible for researching new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology and analytical methods in their assigned projects.
- Manage and execute entire projects from start to finish including cross-functional project management, data gathering and manipulation, analysis and modeling, and communication of insights and recommendations.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and creativity when developing solutions to improve existing business processes within supply chain utilizing methods such as statistical analysis, regression modeling and optimization.
- Work independently to manage multiple projects at once while ensuring deadlines are met and data output is accurate and appropriate for the business. Must also be able to deal with ambiguity and make independent decisions about what data and approach is best for the task at hand.
- Build scalable and complex supply chain models and processes to optimize supply chain strategies with goals to deliver excellent customer experience while balancing operating cost and asset efficiency.
- Identify areas of opportunity and drive results partnering with cross functional partners
- Develop relationships with Wal-Mart functional areas in San Bruno, CA, as well as in Bentonville, AR, to identify best practices, solicit input/data, coordinate inter-disciplinary initiatives and to gather support for recommendations
- Potential projects can include:
- Create models to analyze the supply chain network need to support Peak sales growth with scenario modeling capabilities to understand the sensitivity to multiple variables; provide insight to Logistics executives on opening, closing, or repurposing fulfillment nodes; analyze impact to multiple networks simultaneously; and create scenario analyses to adopt various sensitivities
- Develop dashboards to visualize supply chain network health based on cross-functionally aligned KPI tolerances
- Develop logic and tool to determine optimal share of volume to process in various customer buying channels in the company balancing inventory availability, capacity, cost, and service level requirements
- Masters in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management or related analytical discipline and 3+ years of post-graduate work experience or PHD and 2+ years of post-graduate work experience
- Demonstrated success in leading business analysis projects to achieve business-impacting results
- Extensive experience in one or more supply chain domains and related information systems distribution/transportation, sourcing, planning, manufacturing and inventory management
- Experience with large data set mining tools and open-source programming tools, (e.g., R, Python, HiveQL, Spark)
- Experience with optimization software (ex Gurobi or Cplex)
- Experience designing and building BI Tools (ex Tableau, Qlik)
- Experience with network modeling tools and network optimization techniques
- Experience with statistical analysis, regression modeling, data mining, financial analysis, and optimization (linear programming and mix integer programming)
- Expert in MS-Excel
- Highly fluent in SQL
- Competent in MS-PowerPoint and comfortable building presentation materials to tell a clear story
- Ability to foster successful partnerships within cross-functional teams
- Effective communication skills at multiple levels of the organization, including senior management - ability to communicate complex concepts in easy-to-understand terminology
- Ability to champion ideas and influence the organization with fact-driven recommendations
- Strong follow-through skills and acute attention to detail
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Retail e-commerce industry experience
- Experience in supply chain domains and related information systems distribution/transportation, sourcing, planning, manufacturing and inventory management
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Perks and Benefits
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. Butyou'llquickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us andyou'lldiscover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement.From day one,you'llbe empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates,customersand the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding,respectingand valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 4 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 6 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
950 ELM AVE, SAN BRUNO, CA 94066-3047, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.