Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
It's an exciting time to join our Walmart journey. We are seeking a Staff Site Reliability Engineer (Full stack preferred) for a key position in Walmart's ecommerce Site Reliability Engineering initiatives. This is the Site Reliability Engineering Team that works with developers and DevOps practitioners to produce mission-critical infrastructure, tools, and processes that will ensure highest levels of availability and reliability of all our sites.
We are on the cutting edge of technology and the teams continues to push the technology boundaries to grow.
You'll sweep us off our feet if you
- Have a desire to work on an e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform
- Have a passion for technology
- Have the desire to learn
You'll make an impact by
- Contributing to our large-scale e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform
- Growing Walmart's growth to using cutting edge technology
- Contributing to Operational Excellence
- Having a voice on the tech stack
What you'll do
Site Reliability Engineers are hybrid systems and software engineers who are responsible and take ownership for reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to uptime and availability of Walmart's e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platform. Our goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delights the customers. To do so, you will need to strong skills in following areas:
- Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, latency, availability and scalability of Walmart e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products.
- Engender reliability and availability starting with metrics and measurements.
- Enable scaling by providing tools, developing training and/or augmenting processes.
- Build tools/automate to prevent re-occurrence of problem to mission critical products/services.
- Augment existing instrumentation to build a cohesive picture of the characteristics of our systems with special attention to points of failure.
- Participate in capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Develop a deep understanding of the numerous services and applications that come together to deliver Walmart e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products
- Design new tools to monitor and smart alerts that help discover failures/issues in a timely fashion and work with engineers to identify root cause and fix issues.
- Influence, design and create new architectures, standards, and methods for large-scale enterprise systems.
- Root-cause analysis complex problems involving multiple parties, networks, hardware, and software that relate to scaling and performance.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Secure the system from issues, be they real, perceived, or notional.
- High focus on collecting and inferring metrics.
- Experience with containerization and container platforms. (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Docker EE, OpenShift, Mesosphere)
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Saltstack, Chef and Puppet
- Build and drive the automation systems that maintain system health.
- Eliminate Single Point of failure and test disaster recovery and HA regularly.
- Review and approve proposed solutions, implementing new architectural patterns and perform design and code reviews of change
- Troubleshoot business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause), engage support teams to assist in the resolution of issues, formulate an action plan directing actions as designated in the plan, interpreting the results to determine further action
- Perform root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues and completing online documentation
- Support business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities, addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives), identifying short and long-term solutions and lead cross-functional partnership
What you'll bring
- Skills that you would need to join the team:
- Strong Development experience
- Strong System and network internals experience and knowledge
- Golang, Python, Java, Scala, ReactJS, Node.js experience
- Networking knowledge and in depth understanding of network concepts, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS providers such as AWS, AZURE OpenStack, GCP.
- Experience with containerization and container platforms. (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Docker EE, OpenShift, Mesosphere).
- Thorough DB experience including Relational Databases, NoSQL, Document DB etc.
- Enterprise scale application development experience with high availabilities
- Skills that would make you stand out.
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way. Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment.
- Experience in designing, investigating, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale enterprise systems.
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach, combined with a solid awareness of ownership, initiative, and drive.
- Experience with enterprise monitoring solutions like AppDynamics, New Relic, Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Nagios, Sensu and Splunk
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Who We Are
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code,but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations.Beinghuman-ledis our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
840 W CALIFORNIA AVE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4828, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.