Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
Here at Walmart, we're driven by an intellectual curiosity that keeps us on the cutting-edge of user design and a seamless customer experience. We're intrigued by the opportunity to engineer the most optimal approach that drives conversions and generates consumer loyalty across every touchpoint of the digital journey.
As aStaff**Software Engineer**, you'll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, collaborating with cross-functionalteamsand providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You'll oversee small project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
Now, imagine doing all the above for the world's largest retailer. That's the Walmart experience. Intrigued?
- Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions. Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan.
- Assists in providing guidance to small groups of5to6engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, directions, examples, and timeline.
Provides support to the business by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; identifyingshort and long termsolutions; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of associate's domain.
Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; and completing online documentation.
- Participates in the discovery phase of medium to large-sized projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business, and user experience teams.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in theapplication of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Modelscompliance with company policies and procedures and supports company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using theOpen DoorPolicy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
You have and can implement big ideas with a positive attitude. You want to be a part of the team to disrupt this industry and you have these main skills:
Extensive understanding ofmicroservice architecture and design, and best practices aroundmultithreading, networking, offline storage and performance tuning
Expert level knowledgeand understandingof Java,Spring Boot, and experience workingwith distributed systems and teams.
- Experience withrefactoring/redesigning/rewriting existing applicationsis a plus (We arein the process ofredesigning and refactoring of our current system)
- Ability to build products with focus on testability, someone who loves test coverage (well versed with Mockito and JUnit)
- A disciplined approach to development, code review, testing,documentationand code structure in a team environment.
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things to the next level and a passion for adopting the latest features inKubernetes, Java, and Spring Boot.
You'll really wow us if
- 10+ years of working experience in Java/J2EE
- Solid experience in large scale distributed systems and event-driven architecture.
- 7+ years' experience in internet-scale distributed technologies (e.g. Solr, Kafka, Mem Cache, etc.)
- Relevant experience with relational and no-sql databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
- Strong background in algorithms and data structures.
- Expertise in one or more programming languages (e.g. Java, Scala, etc)
- Strong inclination towards exploring and learning new technologies.
Understanding of machine learning.
You'll make an impact by
- Effectively translating requirements into project parameters while working with agility from cradle to grave.
- Helping cross-functional teams to solve for business problems and develop solutions that enable us to redefine a best-in-class customer experience.
- Encouraging the project teams that you oversee to work collaboratively and to aim for insight-driven outcomes.
- Have designed, built, and maintained APIs, services of highly scalable platforms.
- Have experience with Kafka or other high volume-low latency messaging infrastructure
- Have experience with Azure Cloud Stack or other cloud stacks
- Have extensive knowledge of open-source libraries, design patterns and micro-service architecture. Familiarity with CI/CD and unit testing
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Skill Set Additions:
Knowledge of technologies used in building scalable, distributed systems in virtualized cloud environments.
Ability to design for fault tolerance and high availability.
- Have proficient knowledge and experience with Kafka Queues, Cassandra,Solr, Elastic Search, SQL
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following programming Languages: Java, Python, Bash, Spark (SQL, Streaming), Hadoop Map-Reduce experience. Build Manager (Maven), Distributed Version Control (GIT), Continuous Integration (Jenkins) experience.
- Soliddevopsskills in troubleshooting live applications, assessing performance bottlenecks of applications running onLinux
- Develop high performance and scalable solutions that extract, transform, and load bigdata
- Proficiency in search technologies likeSolrandElasticSearch
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes and Big data technologies will be a bigplus
About The Team
Walmart Supply Chain Transportation group is looking forSeniorSoftware Engineer
to help build the next generation suite of applications to have impact on
millions of users.
The individual should be self-motivated,come from a deepapplication
developmentbackground,should have deep domain level understanding of
Supply Chain Transportation systems including Pickup and Delivery Lifecyle
and should possess hands on experience of building customerfacing
solutions at large scale. Should be able to collaborate closely withbusiness
and product stakeholder to build next generationcloud-basedweb
applications.You'll independently handle high impact, critical software/systems monitoring issues, troubleshoot business and production issues.
Preferred location Sunnyvale, CA. We are also open to remote location.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas, and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always beenabout people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Beinghuman-ledis our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
840 W CALIFORNIA AVE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-4828, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.