Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 54%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
Want to use your experience working customers and your analytic skills to drive value through data?
The Principal Data Engineer role is a critical position focused on becoming a trusted partner and delivering value through data for our customers. You will use your skills to understand our customers' businesses and provide data solutions that help solve their challenges. As a Principal Data Engineer you will ensure our customers' data needs and pain points are addressed by providing outstanding service, assistance and knowledge of the Data Strategy & Insight team's capabilities.
You will solve customer issues with data solutions that positively impact their business by building highly engaged relationships, crafting solutions that solve critical priorities, ensuring our offerings are understood and driving value, serving as a first line of defense for data-related topics and by collaborating with our other tech and engineering teams to resolve customer obstacles.
You'll sweep us off our feet if
- You have applied business acumen:
- Evaluates proposed business cases for projects and initiatives. Translates business requirements into specific initiatives and drives execution of deliverables.
- You understand data Strategy:
- Develops and executes technical software development strategy using current business roadmap by analyzing competitive industry trends, technology landscape, and plans next gen data strategy to complex business problems. (Ex: cloud strategy, tech modernization)
You'll make an impact by:
- Data Modeling: Influences the overarching data strategy and vision for data pipelines and data products. Oversees and governs the expansion of existing data architecture and the optimization of data query performance via best practices. Presents and socializes data models to business and information technology stakeholders.
- Data Architecture: Designs, implements, and improves processes in data management.
- Culture champion: Standardize and build a fact based metric driven engineering culture across the engineering organization. Help hire, upskill and mentor a strong team of architects and engineers. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics. Pro-actively act as Wamart's engineering tech brand ambassador
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; enhancing design to prevent reoccurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Leads the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
- Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives); identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business and user experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to validate ideas.
- Develops Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices by leading internal technical teams; partnering with cross-functional teams across the business; developing assessments of key opportunities; documenting project scopes; developing long-range plans and project timelines; communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization; and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
- Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; benchmarking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards and processes.
- Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
- Monitoring the industry for developments in data and analytics capabilities, and presents to customer to drive incremental value
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related field. Option 2: 7 years' experience in
software engineering or related field. Option 3: Master's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related
4 years' experience in data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence, or business analytics, ETL tools and working with large data sets in the cloud, Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 54%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.