Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 54%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
Principal Software Engineer
Leads the work of cross-functional groups of ten to twenty engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing
pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions;
implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
Directs root cause analysis of critical business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality,
possible root cause); directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; directing root cause analysis to
prevent future occurrence of issues; and reviewing and approving online documentation.
Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities and drive resolution; partnering with business to define
priorities; identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
Leads the discovery phase of large projects to develop high level design by partnering with the Product Management, Web Operations, Project
Management, Business and User Experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to
Leads and directs in large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical
solutions; directing and reviewing design artifacts (for example, proof of concepts, prototypes); writing and developing code; overseeing software
design; reviewing unit test cases; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; directing project team and cross functional
teams; enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide
input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business
plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring
progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work
environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching
for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to
others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy.
Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business
partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
You'll sweep us off our feet if
Required Skills for the Design Team:
Experience making architecture, design, and interface decisions
Experience documenting designs and plans that are handed off to implementation teams
Experience working with complex, cross functional teams
- Technical leadership background in either software engineering or technical infrastructure
- Excellent planning and communication skills with both internal teams and business partners
- Ability to work and adapt to a fast paced, changing environment
- Ability to quickly learn new skills with minimal direction
Required Skills for Integration Design:
- Understanding of enterprise integration design patterns
- Knowledge of common data exchange formats including JSON and XML
- Experience with common integration technologies including those used for web services (REST and SOAP) and asynchronous messaging (IBM MQ, Kafka, etc.)
- Strong grasp of security concepts, including TLS, for securing integrated system connections
- Good technical writing skills for documenting APIs/interfaces
- Experience with and knowledge of warehouse automation systems (automated storage and retrieval systems, goods-to-person, pick and put, etc.) is preferred
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering with 6+ years of experience in large scale enterprise environment
- Proficiency isn't required in all of the following, but it is preferred that there is a mastery of one or more:
- Leading/Designing complex Software Engineering projects using industry standard program languages
- Leading/Designing complex IT Infrastructure projects.
- Wired/Wireless Network
- Compute Engineering involving VMWare or Nutanix
- Leading/Designing complex software solutions where integration was required from multiple products including 3rd parties
- Experiencing writing standards documents for other engineering groups
- Experience with complex cloud solutions
- Expert knowledge in one or more of the following:
- IP networking, NAT, and firewalls
- Cloud engineering
- Multiple database products (Oracle, Informix, SQLServer, Cassandra, Mongo, MySQL, Maria, CosmosDB, etc)
- Windows and Linux OS
- Client devices and end-user equipment
- Industry InfoSec Security Standards/Policies and best practices
- Subject Matter Expert of Supply Chain/Retail
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code,but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations.Beinghuman-ledis our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years' experience in software
engineering or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 54%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.