The team is currently focused on driving the technical development of our public cloud technologies. As part of the BFD Hadoop Platform engineering you will be developing cloud capabilities by closely working with our project or program managers, peer engineers group and engineering leads to enable running the bigdata work loads in cloud environment and supporting them. You will regularly engage with our users on their application designs and complex support requests, as well as focused on consulting and support capability, and coordinate with peers to incorporate recommendations into automated processes.
This position is party of the data platform area in Big Fast Data (BFD) team.
The Big Fast Data team is seeking an experienced Hadoop systems administrator interested in working at the intersection of Cloud infrastructure, Linux system administration, Hadoop cluster system operations, and system administration automation. The Big Fast Data team leads Walmart’s initiatives to use cloud-based technologies for big data applications, and in that environment operates a multi-tenant Hadoop-based computational platform utilized by many of Walmart’s data scientists and application engineering teams for their big data processing capabilities. We’re looking for an engineer that can help support our cloud big data environment, working in areas such as infrastructure platform management, Linux system administration, and web-based administrative support applications, all while participating in a pager rotation to make sure that everything is always up and running.
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
You are a storyteller, visionary and innovator
You understand data technologies and various tools available to develop models
You’re customer-centric in spirit and in execution
You’re comfortable influencing others, leading teams, managing stakeholders, getting buy-in from leadership, and communicating clearly
You have a test and learn mentality and an agile way of working to improve your team’s products
You’ll make an impact by:
Conducting industry and competitive analysis to understand Walmart’s opportunities to make better use of capacity through efficiency analysis and by leverage new techniques in cloud.
Partnering with our Business Partners and Global Technology teams to ensure consistent standards related to cost and capacity modeling.
Bringing Passion to capacity planning to ensure that Walmart is prepared for any contingency.
Building a team environment by partnering to solve problems and staying focused till there is a solution
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related discipline, or equivalent experience
• Experience with Hadoop command line administration, including use of logs to debug job and systems issues related to Spark, MapReduce, Tez, Hive, Pig, and Apache Ranger.
• Basic experience with Linux system administration, including software installation and networking and storage system configuration.
• Linux command-line system administration experience.
• Basic knowledge of networking, including DNS and DHCP.
• Basic Experience with scripting languages such as bash, Python.
• Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
• Any Experience with configuration management- preferably Puppet or Ansible.
Additional Preferred Qualifications.
• Experience working with Hadoop big data technologies, such as Hadoop Streaming, Hive, Pig, HBase, or related technologies, in traditional cluster and cloud-based deployments.
• Experience with common cloud resource provider resource management frameworks.
• Experience with SQL database systems and database technologies (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra).
• Experience building web-based user services using common web frameworks, such as Python/Django, PHP/Fuel, and similar.
• Experience with system administration automation frameworks, such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
• Experience with Kubernetes based infrastructure and tools.
• Experience with metrics and monitoring tools like Prometheus and Grafana
• Awareness of DevOps and experience in using related tools for observability and telemetry such as, Git, Github, Jenkins/Gitlab, Grafana, Prometheus, Splunk, Agents like statsd, collectd, fluentd, fluentbit etc
• Intermediate level cloud platform knowledge preferably GCP and Azure.
Benefits & Perks:
Equal Opportunity Employer
Who We Are?
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering OR PhD.
Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
603 MUNGER AVE STE 400, DALLAS, TX 75202, United States of America