Why you should apply for a job with Walmart:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.
What you'll do...
Walmart's Global Sourcing Technology team is responsible for building and maintaining software that enables Walmart to Source the best quality products at the lowest possible price and pass that savings to our Customers so they can Save Money and Live Better. Walmart is investing in transforming the Global Sourcing business by enhancing the user experience with the latest technology and we are looking for talented individuals who can use their engineering and leadership skills to help our teams solve complex problems. You will be part of the application development team leading software design and implementation, problem solving, leading consistency across our team in quality standards, ensuring our teams adhere to micro-service architecture principles, research and propose ingenuitive ideas that allows our teams to solve problems faster and provide engineering efficiency as they work with our customers to deliver world-class software solutions.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you'll spend your days translating requirements into solutions, writing code, reusable components and services, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and providing us with the insights necessary to think beyond the status quo. You'll oversee multiple project teams consisting of other engineers who will look to you as a trusted advisor, a subject matter expert who provides guidance and the right tools to get the job done.
You'll sweep us off our feet if:
- Knowledge of the processes within an Agile organization are required, CI/CD, scrum, Kanban, etc.
- Deep understanding of the development lifecycle within a corporate environment is mandatory. Knowledge of multiple programming languages, such as ASP.Net including .Net Core versions/C#, Angular, C/C++, etc., and pragmatic use of the languages with Kubernetes deployments will be needed.
- A broad background in multiple technology subjects is highly recommended as the ideal candidate will be able to specify technologies needed to implement various solutions that achieve the architectural directions as devised under both Reactive (Event based) and Active (Service Oriented) Architecture implementations
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, energy, perseverance, and the desire to solve big problems
- Ability to work in a results-oriented, rapidly changing, dynamic and fast-paced environment that requires collaboration across multiple stakeholders
Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way for broad audiences.
You display great communication/collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- You're passionate about teaching and mentoring others to be greater than they thought possible
- You have a great eye for detail and can articulate the specifics of quality design while enforcing engineering principles
- You have high standards for code quality and can hold the engineers that you work with accountable to those same standards
- You're stimulated by challenges and are ready to engage at Fortune 1 scale
What you'll do...
Lead the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers in software development and design,
identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions, implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Provides support to the business for new and existing systems by responding to user questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility); researching and identifying needed solutions; determining implementation designs; providing guidance regarding implications of new and enhanced systems; and directing users to appropriate contacts for issues outside of own domain.
- Effectively translating requirements into project parameters while working with agility from cradle to grave.
- Helping cross-functional teams to solve for business problems and develop solutions that enable us to redefine a best-in-class customer experience.
- Encouraging the project teams that you oversee to work collaboratively and to aim for insight-driven outcomes.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by gathering information (for example, issue, impact, criticality); performing root cause analysis to reduce future issues; engaging support teams when needed; developing solutions; driving the development of an action plan; performing actions as designated in the plan; and completing online documentation.
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building commitment for perspectives and rationales.
- Provides and supports the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Models compliance with company policies and procedures and supports company standards of ethics and integrity by incorporating these into the development and implementation of business plans; using the Open Door Policy; and demonstrating and assisting others with how to apply these in executing business processes and practices.
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering OR PhD.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
- Experience in Azure cloud architecture and deployments and strong understanding of cloud technology, including - Azure Offerings, Cloud storage, Cloud security, Cloud migration.
- Experience in .Net and Java tech stacks
- with one or more industry-leading database platforms, preferably both relational and non-relational systems
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code,but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations.Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions while being inclusive of all people.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 7 years' experience in software
engineering or related field
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field
805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Need convincing? Let's review Walmart's best features:
- 51%of reviewers say women and men are treated equally at Walmart.