White & Case is an elite global law firm serving leading companies, financial institutions and governments worldwide. Our long history as an international firm means we are perfectly placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges, wherever they may be.
With lawyers operating from more than 40 locations, working in virtually every country of the world, we have invested heavily in building a high-quality full-service practice competing at the top of the market. We are distinguished by our on-the-ground presence in the world’s key financial markets and our strengths in handling complex cross-border work.
It is not just about our global network of offices; it’s the global interconnectedness of the Firm that our people, and our clients, value most. We work well together across geographic and practice boundaries. It is one of the reasons we attract and retain cross-border work and why we attract a diverse group of people.
Our lawyers are globally minded, enterprising, collaborative and committed to excellence. Diversity is a core value of our Firm and it has been recognized with numerous awards and top rankings around the world. Our people represent 90 nationalities and speak 80 languages.
The Manager of Transactional Practice Technology will form part of a cross functional team of Innovation Managers as well as work as part of the Practice Technology team to oversee and/or implement the use of new legal technology tools, processes and AI-enabled tools for transactional practices at the Firm. This role has a strong engagement and innovation focus and will be based in the US and will report to the Senior Manager for Practice Technology (Engagement).
Duties and Accountabilities1
- Work with the Senior Manager of the Practice Engagement program to develop the program across the firm training and developing other innovation managers and maturing processes in order to bring additional value to firm activities
- Assist the Senior Manager with the strategic planning around process and technology innovation, fostering a culture of innovative thinking, engagement and idea generation across the Practices by identifying pain points and solutions. Ideation may lead to the development of business cases in support of a request for investment from the Innovation Committee. Innovation Managers act as a bridge between the Practices, support teams and other stakeholders and deliver ongoing education about current available solutions
- Responsibilities include business analysis, process improvement and implementation of technology products for improved legal service delivery; work as part of the practice engagement team and be passionate about improving business solutions and ways of working; be well organized with excellent communication skills and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities; have an analytical but pragmatic approach to problem solving is essential, combined with commercial awareness to ensure that requirements are achievable and aligned with the Firm’s strategy
- Build strong working relationships with all levels of staff, from the Innovation Committee and Innovation Champions to delivery teams and external third parties
- Work as part of a team of Practice Technology leadership to oversee the use of new technologies for the transactional practices of the Firm
- Take part in the evaluation and selection of new technologies
- Consult with and advise lawyers, legal staff and clients regarding the most effective use of technology in their transactional matter
- Assist senior leadership in the implementation, roll-out and adoption phases of transactional practice technologies including:
- Coordinate and collaborate with all other business services teams including the Firm’s technical staff and procurement to ensure that practice solutions are appropriately integrated with Firm systems, processes and data
- Advise with testing new technology and provide feedback to project teams and vendors
- Develop and promote best practices in the use of AI-enabled and automation technologies by the practice teams
- Drive the use of legal technology in specific transactional client matters and interact with matter teams, including Partners, Associates and Legal Assistants to define project scope and priorities
- Keep current with the latest trends in the legal technology industry, and with changes in the Firm’s technology ecosystem
- Keep current with the latest market technologies and innovations that may affect our practices
- Perform other duties necessary and essential to support the Firm’s strategic technology goals
- May involve domestic and international travel and must perform other duties as required by management
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience required; Juris Doctor and/or law-related degree a plus; Technology or business degrees with extensive practical experience in legal applications also considered
- 5 years' professional experience in a law firm, legal department or legal technology company required
- Business analysis experience coupled with management of complex technology projects in a political, highly matrixed environment required
- Experience in implementation of legal technology tools, processes and AI; deep knowledge of the typical transactional practice workflows and processes
- Expertise in standard business software applications such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required; expertise in data analytics platforms (such as Tableau, QlikView, or Microsoft PowerBI) a plus
- Consultancy skills to help bridge the gap between the business and technology teams; excellent communication and presentation skills; ability to translate and explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences, ideally lawyers
- Strong change management skills to successfully implement new technologies and processes; Diplomacy skills to build consensus and work effectively with a cross-functional, global team, and with lawyers at all seniority levels
- Innovative and strategical attitude with a high sense of future vision
- Project management skills to complete multiple projects in a matrixed, non-hierarchical environment
- Knowledge and awareness of best practices and developments in AI-enabled and automation legal technologies, and ability to apply these to promote continuous improvement
Location and Reporting
- This role is a hybrid in-office/remote role based in our New York office.
- This role reports to the Senior Manager of Practice Technology (Engagement).
White & Case is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. It is our Firm’s policy to recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law.
If you require assistance and/or accommodation to participate in our application and/or interview process, please email the recruiting contact listed for the relevant position. We will be happy to work with you.
The Firm may modify and amend this job description at any time at its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise modifies the at-will nature of employment.
1The above is a general description of the essential duties associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties.