X is Alphabet's moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world's most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Modern agriculture faces an enormous array of challenges, as growers must produce more food on the same or smaller amounts of land, using fewer inputs, all while competing with unrelenting pressure from disease, pests, and a changing climate. Solving these problems demands radical new thinking.
How you will make an impact:
- Leading the design and implementation of large-scale data storage, and big data pipelines for organizing, generating and processing images and structured data.
- Building ML training and inference pipelines.
- Seeing through a project from conception to finished product.
- Meeting both technical and consumer needs.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree (In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience).
- Solid programming skills in C++ or Python.
- Knowledge of basic algorithms and data structures.
- Familiarity with operating systems, multithreading and object-oriented design.
- Good understanding in basic machine learning and computer vision methods.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Willing to work in a fast-paced, start-up like environment. Fast learner who is able to think through and adapt to new problems quickly
- Strong team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate across the full range of product development (from ideation to launch/scale).
- Experience working on large-scale consumer facing products and handling large traffic.
- Experience working with large-scale data storage, and/or knowledge.
- Experience working with Google Earth Engine APIs, and/or remote sensing modelling.
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world's biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We're a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Googlex and is part of Alphabet.