X is Alphabet's moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world's most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X, the Moonshot Factory (an Alphabet company) is seeking a Senior Manufacturing engineer with Opto-Mechanical experience to join the Taara Moonshot and work as part of an Operations team in the Manufacturing and testing of Wireless Optical Communication (WOC) systems used for delivering abundant and affordable internet that our customers are deploying worldwide. The role is focused on applying manufacturing engineering rigor to support new product introduction (NPI), and ensuring cost-effective and robust scalability of WOC products.
About the role:
The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment with engineers, technicians, suppliers and partners and with a passion for solving challenging problems of diverse scope in support of manufacturing, scaling, and continuous improvement projects (CIP) that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
How you will make an impact:
- Define, build, document, train and maintain manufacturing assembly, integration and test processes and tooling for optical and opto-mechanical sub-systems to ensure they fulfill design intent, specifications and performance determined by engineering and design is successfully transferred to manufacturing.
- Provide manufacturing engineering input throughout the product life cycle, driving Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) activities, supporting new product introduction (NPI) builds, and ensuring sustained production quality, process, and yield for Optics integration, alignment and calibration at component, module and system level.
- Define and improve manufacturing procedures, make recommendations for design and/or manufacturing methods and coordinate projects which will result in economical manufacturing costs and enhanced quality.
- Work with contract manufacturers and vendors on a sustained basis to improve build consistency, reduce cycle time, increase yield, and drive down cost. Address NPI build issues, drive root cause analysis and institute necessary corrective actions.
- Drive and maintain strong cross-functional collaborations with engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain teams in the down-selection, sourcing, qualification, and integration of optical components and vendors. Anticipate problems, prioritize their importance, and work cross-functionally to solve problems.
What you should have:
- Bachelor degree in Optics, Physics, or Mechanical, and 7+ years of experience in a Manufacturing Engineering role.
- Experience with optical components, systems and processes, including optical coatings, optical element fabrication techniques, lens assembly alignment, and optical metrology.
- Experience in optical tooling, interferometry, mechanical fabrication and laser sub-systems
- Good understanding of bill-of-materials (BOM) structures, configuration management, clear-to-build process, engineering change order (ECO) process, and the product life cycle.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time domestically and internationally to contract manufacturers and supply chain vendors.
- Possess strong troubleshooting and analytical skills to support technical issues, set-up experiments, modeling, and data analysis.
- Ability to champion his/her technical solutions to manufacturability issues found with the design.
- Able to communicate effectively with peers, interdisciplinary engineering groups, customers, vendors and across cultures. Create effective presentations up to the executive level.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Advanced degree in Optics, Physics, Mechanical, Materials Science Engineering, or equivalent with 10 years of experience in a Manufacturing Engineering role.
- Technical depth in two or more of these areas: optics, mechanics, and photonics.
- Semiconductor, Medical and Telecommunication equipment experience
- Experience in statistical process control (SPC)
- Six-sigma or similar certifications.
- Prior experience launching new products at contract manufacturers (CMs) and original device manufacturers (ODMs)
- Familiar with optical modelling (zemax), wavefront measurements, SolidWorks or other ME SW packages, photonics, electro-optics processes including fiber optics splicing and routing, optical amplifiers, transceivers, and MEMS actuators