#MakingTime: A Day in the Life of a Co-founder, Podcaster, and Magazine Editor

Natasha Nurse

Photo courtesy of Natasha Nurse

June 21, 2024 at 1:52AM UTC

Women can do anything — but not everything. As the largest online career community for women, we at Fairygodboss realize that balance is a myth, and that picking what to prioritize when everything feels important on a day-to-day basis isn't always easy. In the #MakingTime series, women share with us how, for one day, they chose to spend their most precious resource: time.


Who: Natasha Nurse 

What: Owner & Co-Founder of Dressing Room 8, Co-Host of WokeNFree, Host of Our Voices on 90.3 WHPC, and Lifestyle Editor of Plus Model Magazine 

Where: Long Island, New York 


6:45 a.m. 

This is the time my husband and co-host of WokeNFree wakes up so this is when I typically start my day. First, thing I do is go over my short gratitude list for the day. I try to think of at least 3 things that I am grateful for. Then I am greeted my dog J.J. who wants to lick my face or feet to remind me that is time to wake up. 

Getting out of bed, I head straight to kitchen to pack my husband’s lunch then I take my hypothyroidism medication and I have to wait an hour before I can eat breakfast (which sometimes is a bummer but I am getting used to the new routine with my recent diagnosis).  

7:45 a.m.

There is no time like the present to get some food. Usually, breakfast consists of cereal, oatmeal or my favorite Luna Lemon Zest Bar. However, more recently I have found eating more brunch or lunch like food keeps me feeling more satisfied, so I might put together a plate of leftovers from last night’s dinner (#NoJudgement). After scarfing down food, I take my multivitamins and then I am ready to start my day. 

8:15 a.m. 

I love social media and there is a lot that I need to accomplish from my business, my podcast and some of my clients. For weeks where I can make some social media content over the weekend then I can schedule it in advance then work on daily re-sharing and re-purposing the content. For some weeks where I don’t get to do that then I have to work on daily social media creation which can take up to 1 to 2 hours.  

9:45 a.m.

At this point, my fingers are numb and it is time for a social media break and time to get showered and “officially” start my day. Time to blast some Caribbean Soca or Dancehall music on my Pandora station to have in the background as I shower and get dressed.    

10:15 a.m.

Usually, I recheck social media to look over comments on the various platforms I use as well as stay up to date with social media news. Then I dive deep into the email world, which is a limitless space. I get rid of junk emails, go through emails that I need to respond to and make a note of emails that I can come back to later in the day. Additionally, I usually have up to four or five scheduled calls for the day so I am intermittently taking time to deal with scheduled calls and dealing with unscheduled cell or home phone calls.  

11:45 a.m. 

At this point, I might be in the mood for a small snack or some time with the dog, so I take a break to “intuitively” check in with myself for what I need before deciding what is next. If the dog gives me the “I want to go for an afternoon walk look” then I will close the computer and go outside for a 20-minute walk around the neighborhood. If not, then I will get back to work drill. 

12:30 p.m.

After my walk with J.J., then I am sweaty and I have worked up an appetite so it is time for lunch. Usually, this entails a salad or some meat with rice dish. I warm up my food in a microwave that usually takes way too long to work then I eat in front of the TV watching an old show like 90210, One Tree Hill, or Dawson’s Creek (I like watching shows or movies I have already seen so I can focus on my thoughts and not think about what is happening with the content). If there is a new episode of a current show that is available, then I will watch that if I want to be more engaged with the content. 

1:30 p.m.

I typically schedule a lot of calls between 1 and 3 PM. On the rare occasion that I am not bouncing between calls, then I take the afternoon to write blog posts for my blog, work on my content for Plus Model Magazine, or send follow up communications for my guests I interview on my show Our Voices on 90.3 WHPC.  

3:30 p.m. 

Around this time, my body is urging me to take a computer break to read and take a nap (reading always puts me to sleep). I am constantly reading for my book club and my personal goal of reading five books a month. Because of the Dressing Room 8 Book Club, I am guaranteed to read at least one book a month, but I am a strong believer that you can never read enough. After reading for 30 to 40 minutes, my eyes begin to drift and it is definitely nap time.  

5 p.m. 

I typically set an alarm to wake up around this time so I can start getting dinner ready for the hubby or if I am not feeling up for cooking, it gives me time to figure what I am ordering. My husband and I have embraced a Gluten-free diet, so I have to be very conscious about what I can order if I am not going to cook.  

6 p.m. 

The hubby is back and our dog and cat are usually making tons of noise to welcome him home while I am getting our plates ready to eat for dinner. Sometimes, I have a late call so I might be finishing up a call as he walks in the door (which really adds to the craziness in the house). After the dog has been let outside, the hubby has collected the mail, and our plates are ready it is time for us to eat dinner and spend some time together in front of the television. There are several shows we are watching together so we eat and get caught up on our media. 

7:30 p.m.

At this point, my hubby and I have eaten dinner and our dessert (i.e., fruit pop, or fruit) and it is time to get to work. If we are working on our podcast, then we will work on the show notes and the recording. However, if it is not a “WokeNFree work night” then I will work on my stuff as he is working on his stuff (i.e., tech support for my business, tech support for Sistas On Fire, his personal writing, or home stuff).  

9 p.m.

At this point we have to decide if we are going to the gym or if we are working out at home, or if we are just taking the dog out for an evening walk. We aim to get to the gym a couple nights a week but it is hard (who doesn’t feel this way?). 

10 p.m.

After our physical activity, we end up getting back to the work drill till around 12 AM or 1 AM (sometimes later if there are pressing matters that need to be handled). For the last couple of months, I have told the hubby I am heading to bed which prompts him to join me within the hour. Then the day starts all over again!


Interested in contributing to Fairygodboss' #MakingTime series? Email [email protected] with "#MakingTime" in the subject line.

Don't miss out on articles like these. Sign up!

Why women love us:

  • Daily articles on career topics
  • Jobs at companies dedicated to hiring more women
  • Advice and support from an authentic community
  • Events that help you level up in your career
  • Free membership, always