Whether you’re new to a position of leadership, or you’ve been managing people your whole life, there are definitely mantras about trust and respect to live by. You have to walk the line between motivational and inspirational, while also being firm and direct.
You want to promote a positive attitude and an open environment where employees can feel comfortable and productive. And a big part of the process has to do with respect — promoting self-respect, respect amongst peers, and respect for the work itself. There is no room for disrespect — in life nor in business. And sometimes, people need a little bit of reminding on what respecting someone really means — that’s where these quotes about respect come in.
Here are 12 quotes about respect every supervisor needs to keep close to their chest to promote love and respect in the workplace.
1. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. “A person’s a person no matter how small.” — Dr. Seuss
3. “Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.” — Mahatma Ghandi
4. “If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.” — Maya Angelou
5. “Treat everyone with respect and kindness. Period. No exceptions.” — Kiana Tom
6. “Every individual has a place to fill in the world and is important in some respect whether he chooses to be so or not.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
7. “I have no right, by anything I do or say, to demean a human being in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him; it is what he thinks of himself. To undermine a man's self-respect is a sin.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
8. “If I made a commitment, I stood by that commitment - and try to make it real. Because when you become leaders, the most important thing you have is your word, your trust. That's where respect comes from.” — Michelle Obama
9. “Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?” — Confucius
10. “We should all consider each other as human beings, and we should respect each other.” — Malala Yousafzai
11. “Disrespect invites disrespect.” — Meryl Streep
12. “We have to work on treating ourselves like we would treat our friends.” — Sheryl Sandberg