Whether you’re new to a position of leadership, or you’ve been managing people your whole life, there are definitely mantras about trust and respect to live by. You have to walk the line between motivational and inspirational, while also being firm and direct. You want to promote a positive attitude and an open environment where employees can feel comfortable and productive. And a big part of the process has to do with respect — promoting self-respect, respect amongst peers, and respect for the work itself. There is no room for disrespect — in life nor in business. And sometimes, people need a little bit of reminding on what respecting someone really means — that’s where these quotes about respect come in.
Here are 21 quotes about respect every supervisor needs to keep close to their chest to promote love and respect in the workplace.
2. “I have no right, by anything I do or say, to demean a human being in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him; it is what he thinks of himself. To undermine a man's self-respect is a sin.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
3. “If I made a commitment, I stood by that commitment - and try to make it real. Because when you become leaders, the most important thing you have is your word, your trust. That's where respect comes from.” — Michelle Obama
4. “We have to work on treating ourselves like we would treat our friends.” — Sheryl Sandberg
5. "If you want to be respected by others, the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you." — Fyodor Dostoyevsky
6. "Respect yourself above all." — Pythagoras
On Respect for Others
8. “Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.” — Mahatma Ghandi
9. “If we lose love and self-respect for each other, this is how we finally die.” — Maya Angelou
10. “Treat everyone with respect and kindness. Period. No exceptions.” — Kiana Tom
11. “Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?” — Confucius
12. “We should all consider each other as human beings, and we should respect each other.” — Malala Yousafzai
13. "I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university." — Albert Einstein
14. "Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. "Respect begins with this attitude: I acknowledge that you are a creature of extreme worth." — Gary Chapman
16. "If you treat people right they will treat you right… ninety percent of the time." — Franklin D. Roosevelt
On Living and Working Together
18. “Every individual has a place to fill in the world and is important in some respect whether he chooses to be so or not.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
19. “Disrespect invites disrespect.” — Meryl Streep
20. "If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. It is true that you may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all of the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time." — Abraham Lincoln
21. "The goal is not to be liked, it’s to be respected." — Unknown
This article reflects the views of the author and not necessarily those of Fairygodboss.
Kristina Udice is a senior SEO analyst for Reprise and a copy and content creator for a wealth of publications and businesses, including Express Writers, Learn Language Hoboken, Insider, and more.
What ways have you expressed respect as a manager? Or share any experiences where you think your manager expressed respect well, to help other Fairygodboss members.