#MakingTime: A Day in the Life of an Artist, Entrepreneur, and Mom in Austin, Texas

Emily Mercedes

Photo courtesy of Emily Mercedes

April 21, 2024 at 9:9AM UTC

Women can do anything — but not everything. As the largest online career community for women, we at Fairygodboss realize that balance is a myth, and that picking what to prioritize on a day-to-day basis isn't always easy. In the #MakingTime series, women share with us how, for one day, they chose to spend their most precious resource: time.


Who: Emily Mercedes

What: Owner and Artist: Emily Mercedes Art, mom of 2

Where: Austin, TX


7:00 a.m.

Our four-year-old son, Ryland, comes barreling in our bedroom to wake us up. My husband and I take turns getting up with our kids. Every other day we get to sleep in a bit. Today is my day to get up with Ryland. I lay in bed with him for a few minutes. I post a timelapse video from the night before to my Instagram. I have a list of hashtags saved in my notes, so I update it and add it to the post. I ask Ryland what he dreams about. It has to do with what we read the night before. 

7:30 a.m. 

Get Mila, our one-year-old, out of her crib and start the breakfast routine. I take random bites of my breakfast while getting them fed and cleaned up. Pack Ryland’s snack and lunch. Wonder why it takes so long to get two kids and myself ready. It’s already 8:30. We have to go!

9 a.m. 

Mila and I drop Ryland off at Pre-K and head to my print shop downtown. I pick up fine art prints and signage I need for my next event. 

9:30 a.m.

We head over to the trail by the lake and I take Mila for a walk in the stroller. I pop in an earbud to listen to The Creative Pep Talk Podcast. The host is hilarious and inspirational all at once. After our walk, Mila runs around the park and collects sticks and rocks. 

11 a.m.

Head back and feed Mila lunch. After she eats, I put her down for her nap. 

11:30 a.m.

This is when I get serious about my art. Coming up with new art print or greeting card concepts. Managing my custom requests, emails and customer service. I make a list of all the things I will need for my upcoming art event. 

12:00 p.m.

Make myself lunch and scroll through Instagram. Interact with other creatives or my followers. Gain some inspiration and I’m back to the drawing board. 

12:15 p.m. 

I sketch during naptime so that I can paint in the evenings. I have an ongoing commission list as well as a lineup of art to add to my growing art offering. I have teamed up with my brother-in-law, Javier Mercedes, to create art for his podcast interviewees. I make sure to sketch that out as well since a new Passion in Progress podcast is going live tomorrow.

1:30 p.m.

Mila wakes up and we pick Ryland up from school. 

2 p.m.

The kids play on the playground outside of Ry’s school for awhile. Snacktime ensues around now. I also catch up with other moms on the playground. It’s a great way to have adult communication in the midst of being a mom and working from home. 

3:30 p.m. 

Back home building a fort out of our chairs and blankets. We lay in the fort and relax for awhile. 

4:30 p.m. 

The kids are hungry so I feed them as I’m getting dinner together for Brian and myself. I’m not going to lie, I love when my husband cooks and he does pretty often. His aunts taught him how to cook when he lived in the Dominican Republic. I can make a mean batch of cookies though!

5:30 p.m.

Brian comes home from work and we eat and chat and hang with the kids. Or they hang on us and continue to eat some of our food! Seriously, Mila, how are you still hungry little girl??

6 p.m. 

Brian takes the kids outside while I start packaging up online orders. After everything is wrapped up, I print shipping labels and place everything in the car. I drop these items off at the Post Office after I drop Ryland off at school in the morning. 

6:30 p.m. 

Bedtime routine is under way. We give the kids a bath and get them in their pajames. We read them a few books and they go down for the night. They are so tuckered from playing that they fall right asleep. 

7:15 p.m. 

Catch up with Brian and start setting up my paint supplies. I make timelapse videos of everything that I paint. That way everyone can see my process. 

8:30 p.m.

I’m in the heart of a timelapse video. Depending on the level of detail, I can paint for up to 5 hours straight. I once painted until 4 in the morning toward the end of my #100daysofdrinks project this year. 

The video is as important as the final piece. They are captivating and have allowed me to work with some big brands. Companies are commissioning me to paint their product. They are posting my timelapse video on their social media channels. That is so cool!

10:30 p.m. 

Wrap up my painting and start winding down with Brian on the couch. We watch an episode of a show that we love. If I go right to bed after a painting session, I will likely keep painting in my head. It’s a dreadful and beautiful problem to have. My brain won’t shut off sometimes, so falling asleep doesn’t come easy some nights. Tonight, it does. I am out in a matter of minutes. 


Interested in contributing to Fairygodboss' #MakingTime series? Email [email protected] with "#MakingTime" in the subject line.

Why women love us:

  • Daily articles on career topics
  • Jobs at companies dedicated to hiring more women
  • Advice and support from an authentic community
  • Events that help you level up in your career
  • Free membership, always