American University www.american.edu

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about American University?
aseedeesee Coordinator, Academics

I am speaking from an administrative staff perspective, not a faculty perspective. There are not a lot of opportunities for advancement. I've seen a lot of promotion opportunities created for individual men in the past few years, but I'm very sad to say that the only promotion opportunity I've seen created for a woman in my time there was due to her personal relationship with the dean. The environment is drastically different from department to department, but overall the culture of the university is family-friendly and flexible. There are a lot of women in support positions, and with the new President being a woman I hope that will start being true in the leadership as well. I just wish policies (mainly maternity and paternity leave) would follow suit.

• 1

• 2

• 3

• 4

• 5

Good for first years as a primary parent. Pay is low and the positions are being moved to part-time so it is not likely a place for long-term career growth and movement.

Facebook
Twitter
Women Review American University for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of American University by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 2 reviews Company Website aseedeesee anon1692