BAE Systems

2.6

"Flexible hours can be tough for women working on projects that require being in a secure environment. "
, Engineering
"I had 6 weeks maternity and saved 4 weeks of vacation. "
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Over the past few years, I've seen more and more women move up into section lead and other leadership roles. I would say that 30% of my peers as a manager are women. Yes, there is an imbalance of women in the workplace AND in leadership roles, but that's because engineering is a male-dominated industry! "
"not sure"
One thing BAE Systems can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Engineering Manager, Engineering
"I can't imagine an employer being more flexible with work hours. We have bi-weekly pay periods, which means we can flex our 80 hours of work over two weeks. We have every other Friday completely off from work. Most managers will flat out tell you that personal commitments hold equal, if not more, priority than your job. If there's a family emergency, go! If you need to come in a bit late to drop your kids off, or leave early to pick them up, do it, as long as you can make up the hours elsewhere. "
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"I love the technical challenges of my job in the R&D group."
Sr. Pr. Systems Engineer, Engineering
"It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to request and be approved for part time or flexible time. I know a number of people who are one or have been on flex or part time schedules."
"I had to use all my sick and vacation time, but i was unable to return to work with no unpaid time."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"You work for your boss...to make him/her look good and take all the credit. If you're okay being behind the scenes and not appreciated by upper management, then this is a good place for you. "
"no"
Program Analyst, Operations
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"This employer is not flexible nor are they focused on employee needs or seem to care about the actual employee."
"not sure"
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Don't expect work life balance, also the maternity leave here is the bare minimum."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"I work in one particular site in the UK which is historically very male orientated, but think this is better at other sites."
One thing BAE Systems can improve?
"Improve existing male orientated culture"
Senior Project Control Analyst,
"Good policy of paid and unpaid leave and incentives to return to work earlier."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"BAE has worked hard over the last 5 years to improve the environment for women, and has made progress. However, it is still a place where women are in the minority, and where unconscious, and sometime conscious, bias rules. Participants at the unconscious bias training mandated for managers that I attended very explicitly stated that they didn't believe in the concept, and thought that it was simply a way to encourage quotas. In coaching sessions, women are encouraged to tolerate "top gun" behavior by a small number colleagues - because those are the "high energy" people that have management's ear. On the flip side, most colleagues are smart, and friendly once you get to know them."
N/A, Technology Solutions
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"As with most organizations, advancement beyond middle management ranks is more difficult here for women than for men. While there is strong emphasis on ethical conduct, there is an almost astounding lack of awareness about how skewed the assessment of potential and performance is toward men. The company's flexible work arrangements are very good but still in many pockets one is viewed as uncommitted if actually leveraging them, and there are the usual concerns about impact on advancement opportunity. Maternity leave appears to be well-accommodated but re-entry is not always the easiest. Benefits overall are good, colleagues well-meaning and good people, and I've been impressed with everyone's dedication to whatever part they play in the company's mission. Women in leadership roles...there are a few, and the company seems committed to improving their demographics."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Contingent upon their career objectives"
"That there are challenges to advancement."
operations, N/A
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Depends on what function they work in"
"I wouldnt recommend this place for women."
Laborer, N/A
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Not alot of african american women in corporate office."
"My experience has shown me that those who do work will always be the ones doing all the work while those who don't aren't expected to nor is the problem addressed. As a person with no kids it seems like I'm expected to make up for those who have outside family obligations."
Sr. Software Engineer, Engineering
"I"
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"I worked there for five years and the company was a travesty to work for since they hired Linda Hudson. You would think having a woman CEO who is a mom would make it a better company for work/life balance but it didn't. They keep restructuring departments, giving more work to the people who manage not to get laid off and have a general loss of direction, so it's hard to support management or believe in the company. I worked directly in both the CEO's office and for the heads of a business unit."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Men are still the bigger bread winners."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"I agree with the lack of females in leadership positions. However, the ones who are in leadership positions seems to receive little support from upper management."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"There is a lot of unacknowledged gender bias here you will have to overcome to succeed. Your experience will be determined by the group you work with."
N/A, Engineering
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Depends on department and manager"
"Women are mainly in support roles-it's a male dominated company. Very little encouragement by the company to advance-some have been in the same role for over 20 years."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Given the size of the company, any individual's experience will be shaped largely by your manager and program areas in which you work. Although the company promotes diversity, etc., it is still very much a male dominated environment. This is perhaps inherent to the industry to a degree."
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"It was great when I first started working here and did not have kids. After having a child, I was immediately put on the "mommy track," which means no advancement indefinitely. After being here for 7 years without a promotion and subpar raises, I watch my income shrink while my male colleagues climb the ladder. As soon as you talk about leaving because of the lack of advancement opportunities, you are pulled in an office and told how valuable you are and that you will be advanced only to find yourself in the same spot next time promotions are handed out. If you are a mother, expect long hours away from your kids. That flexible work schedule is not very flexible and 10 hour work days (1 hr for lunch) are mandatory, since we are on a 9/80 schedule company wide. Expect that anything you do for your family that takes away time from the workplace will be frowned upon...unless you are male...then you are looked at as such a "great father.""
Would you recommend BAE Systems to other women?
"Its a very cut throat company who has people in management who shouldn't be there and woman in positions who, shall we say, got their position by other means other than their business sense."
sr sales Mgr, Sales