BHP Billiton Ltd.

4.5

"Mining Mentality is the biggest hurdle to understand and fit into when working for this company especially if you work on an operational site in a fly in and fly out capacity. You need to have tough skin , yet saying thatyou need physical toughness to be able to manage the severe weather and working conditions, mental toughness to cope with separation and isolation from family and loved ones, emotional toughness to be able to be yourself in a work force of predominant males and maturity and confidence to cope with the rules, regulations and values that this company expect you to adhere to. I believe aside from skill qualifications, Operationally on a minesite, you need tough skin before you even step through the door."
One thing BHP Billiton Ltd. can improve?
Maintenace Business Analyst,
Would you recommend BHP Billiton Ltd. to other women?
"The division that I worked in was very supportive of women and mothers (they would let me bring my children to company meetings when I had day care conflicts, allow them to play in my office as long as they didn't disturb the workflow etc, the former international CEO encouraged it- which may be one of the reasons he is now the former CEO) and allowed women to work into management positions. Other divisions around the world were still treating the professional women staff like glorified administrative assistants."
Administrative Geologist, World Minerals
Would you recommend BHP Billiton Ltd. to other women?
"Depends on the Division/office"