Employee reviews at Duke University

Duke University

3.2

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"Negotiate aggressively on salary on your first job offer. Once you're in the Duke system, the most you can hope for is a 5% pay raise if you get a promotion. Duke's HR system is set up to actively encourage good employees to leave Duke if they want to make meaningful advancements in their careers. Also be careful of the many misogynistic and/or inept managers that have made their careers at Duke. I was at Duke for a decade and both saw and experienced wide-ranging incidents of sexism, racism, and bullying from Duke managers during my time there. Every time a formal complaint was made to HR about the behavior, HR brushed it aside unless the employee hired a lawyer. I was flat out told by HR when I quit for a position at another company that there was no point in me having an exit interview about my experience because the Dean of the school didn't care what subordinates thought of their managers or if a department was hemorrhaging money from the school. My last manager at Duke was engaged in illegal and ethically questionable tactics and still nobody at the university seemed to care. "
"Not sure"
One thing Duke University can improve?
"It greatly varies depending on your supervisor and your department. In my 10 years at Duke, I had supervisors that were greatly supportive and flexible about family issues. Others would flagrantly disregard Duke's own HR policies because they didn't trust their employees. HR doesn't care about bad managers so no point going to them when you run into issues. "
3 Weeks Paid | 9 Weeks Unpaid
"Duke only offers 3 weeks paid leave. AND if your partner is a Duke employee, only one of you can take advantage of the parental paid leave policy. AND your coworkers are not allowed to donate PTO for your parental leave even though they allow PTO donation for pretty much any other medical reason. It's shameful how poor their paid leave policy is given they have one of the best children's hospitals in the region. Duke should know better and do better."
"Maybe"

Want to

"Take as many trainings as you can to make yourself familiar with Duke systems."
One thing Duke University can improve?
"It is all dependent on the division you work for"
Policies, Culture, Hours

Want to

"It’s seventh grade mean girls all over again, very sadly. "
"Not sure"
"Other"
Associate Director, Privacy, Compliance

Want to

"Get as much money as possible at hire; wages basically never increase again without transferring departments"
Director of Operations
3 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"Took 12 with my own saved sick and vacation"
"Maybe"

Want to

"If you plan on succeeding as a faculty member, make sure have high ranking collaborators."
6 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"Duke provides up to three consecutive weeks of 100% paid parental leave to the eligible parent serving as the primary caregiver following the birth or adoption of a child. After 3 weeks, you may used any accrued PTO however if you do not have any accrued PTO it is unpaid."

Want to

"You won't have to work on weekends, and there are interesting people there, but you'll also be around staff who are just phoning it in."
Communications Specialist, Academics
"It really just depends on what department you land in at Duke University and who is your manager. "
Culture, Hours
6 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"They used disability benefits to pay for maternity leave. I also used my vacation time. Maybe that's normal? "

1 - 5 of 10