Long Island Jewish Medical Center

www.lijed.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Long Island Jewish Medical Center to join us.

Grace Academy Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

January 2018

Be prepared to not to work up to your potential

Cordell & Cordell Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

January 2018

With a firm of about 200 attorneys at least 3/4 are women. However, almost every male attorney is promoted within a couple years.

Most offices are flexible. Occasionally one of its offices will frown upon the flexibility. With any nationwide firm it can vary.

They offer 10 weeks of paid maternity leave for attorneys that have been with the firm 6 months or longer.

Promote people with actual management skills.

Beyond 20/20 Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

he process I went through was an interview, then 2 scheduled days to observe for 2 hours, then a 1 month trial. The trial was 2 days a week for 9 hours so 18 hours a week. Everything was going well. I was staying passed the 2 hours and coming in early for observation. I was conversing/ helping with the staff and patients as if I were a part of the team and they showed appreciation to that. I made then made it to the 1 month trial. I bought my scrubs and began training (I was training for front desk AND as a Visual Therapist Assistant). The first two weeks I was really just observing and when there were no patients, I was independently studying. There were books and videos. I took notes and tested myself and did pretty well fairly quickly. Keep in mind, I was advised not to study at home, not to bring home reading materials, and even though they made me study the given material at work, I wasn’t allowed to do it like the materials taught me, they did things different. Very confusing, right? But I did it and even began to assist with patients that last day of that last week. Then week 3 came. I walked into the office and was immediately blamed for tools being left out and I didn’t do it. Of course because I was knew, I immediately was to blame. I voiced it was not me but I wouldn’t let it happen again. That was the first weird incident. I then noticed that I was being snapped at often and there was A LOT of nit-picking going on. At first I ignored it because they told me that the owner is very particular about things but once I began getting snapped at for stuff they told me I was allowed to do, I began to feel uncomfortable. I tried to keep a positive attitude and do what I was told because as they kept reminding me, I was not officially hired and a part of the staff (or their clique from what it seemed). That’s fine, I knew it was a test run. The second day of the 3rd week was bad too. They began to whisper a lot and go into rooms to do such while I tried to keep busy and be hands on. It was awkward. I didn’t take it personal until the 5th or 6th time. Then more nit-picking, more blaming, more discrediting me in front of patients and parents. I felt like a fool and I knew I was doing well so what was the problem?? They had this little agreement to park and walk out together in the parking lot after closing because we’re all women and it’s dark. Once I was told to leave ahead of everyone and walk alone, I knew something was wrong. I came back in for the 4th week with a smile on my face. I told myself to just keep doing what I was doing and be the best I can (because that was the advice that was given to me in the beginning by one of the workers who had say in my hiring). After the 2nd hour, I asked to speak to the Doctor about my progress and what I am doing right, and what can I do to be better. She then proceeded to tell me I didn’t get the job because I wasn’t taking initiative by grabbing the files and immediately working the patients. I was shocked. I was specifically told to ask before I do anything because they’re “Very particular” about what they do there and because I “wasn’t officially hired” yet. No feedback, no tips for improvement in the process, nothing. I literally walked in one day and everything was different. I wasn’t given a fair chance. She told me they don’t like to “push” people to do things, yet when I did try to take initiative, I was told I wasn’t allowed to do this or not allowed to do that. It was a set-up to fail. I was TRAINING to become the Visual Therapist ASSISTANT, NOT the VT and NOT the DR. I did very well despite the short time frame and unrealistic demands. Do I think that’s the real reason I wasn’t hired? I'm not sure. Makes no sense, I did very well, the children liked me, I have a great background and until week 3, they liked me too. They made me feel discouraged, spoke to me like I was dumb and did a TON of whispering. They weren’t helping me get the job, they were putting me down and reminding me I wasn’t a part of the team. I felt like I was trying out to be the cool kid of a high school. It was so stupid and a complete waste of time. I could go on for hours about the nonsense that went on there. I responded in a professional manner and left. No wonder they’ve been looking for someone to fill the position for so long. They don’t know how to train people. It’s a waste of time. You’ll be damned if you do, damned if you don’t trying to please everyone there. I believe they're good people but for your sake, Keep looking.

Not for Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

You need to tell people that you're training how they're doing and how to improve. If you don't, you will always have a high turn-over rate and you will always be looking to hire someone. You can't hire people with no experience and expect them to do your job as a doctor within 2 weeks. Have a weekly meeting. Tell them what they're doing right and what needs improvement so they succeed. Also, stop continuously reminding them that they aren't officially hired. It is discouraging, unprofessional and tacky. And don't discredit them or blame them for things while patients are there. At the end of the day this just makes the company look bad with a different set of people working there each month, etc. Cut people some slack, give them the FULL 1 MONTH as spoken of, train them on what is done in the facility, not on what most Doctor's expect via text book then switch it up on them.

Government | New Castle County, DE Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's a wonderful opportunity working a 7 hour work day and lots of paid holidays and potential for vacation time.

Geosyntec Consultants Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Great company. I don't have a ton of data to compare salaries of men and women, but it seems to be fair workplace. I appreciate that in this male-dominated industry, I feel like my voice is respected at this firm.

Federal Reserve System Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I think that this culture is improving. In the past the choice may have been super-achiever or "mommy-track" and I think that there is growing room for women to be able to choose flexibility in their jobs without being penalized.

Nsight Telservices Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The company demographics currently favor female employees (about 55%) and see a lot of middle management women. There is only 1 female officer. Maternity leave follows federal allowance to the t, but doesn't go further. Facilities for pumping are not properly vented, but you don't have to do it in the bathroom. However, the amount of time alotted is determined by your position. (i.e. a CSR will only have their 30 minute lunch and 2 15 minute break).

Public Broadcasting Service Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

While there are a lot of women who work here in leadership positions, the Digital department is extremely male-dominated, especially in the leadership roles.

SanDisk Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's a hard driving culture that is behind the times with work life balance- working remote is not part of the culture. The company is doing its due diligence to kick start and place more attention on women in the workplace but needs to take more action. Good that they published the gender numbers but hard to tell if the needle is moving and what leadership is being held accountable to.

New Relic Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

April 2015

Very unfriendly towards females. From objects being thrown at a female coworker our of anger to derogatory remarks being made on a daily basis about females, it is an incredibly hostile environment for women. Additionally health benefits for simple birth control are severely lacking/almost non-existent. Women are not thought of one bit here.