Los Angeles County

2.3

"Autumn Hills Health Care Center review Know the policies inside and out. Always be prepared to challenge an "opinion" that JEA will try to convince you is a policy."
"not sure"
One thing Los Angeles County can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Fsd, Healthcare
Would you recommend Los Angeles County to other women?
"Each department is different. DHR policies are strict but union protection helps. DRP hours are 7am-6pm, monday-thursday. Three day weekends are nice, but I cannot imagine having to shuttle kids around this schedule. Hours are clocked until you are upper management and exempt. County short term disability pays 70% of your salary for 4 months of maternity leave, as opposed to 55% for SDI. However, you basically have to commit fraud (dr. note) to get this beyond the typical 4+6 weeks. Plus you accrue tons of sick days worth 65% or 75%. I think supplemental short term disability is also available."
One thing Los Angeles County can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Would you recommend Los Angeles County to other women?
"If you are not planning to have kids and want a very strict 7am to 6pm work day."
"N/a"
N/A, Children and family services
Would you recommend Los Angeles County to other women?
"Perspective of some are "choose to be a mother or work towards being a supervisor", yep that was said to me after returning from maternity leave. You are overlooked for requesting taking off although they say they support families. No understanding from non-parents of what it is to be a parent. There are a lot of women working here, tend to move up after having kids or before. The mothers are supportive and offer advice of how they have been able to juggle work and family. Management is male dominant, and only females have been ones without children. We have our own HR which is should be good but they do not understand employee needs and want to treat everyone "the same" which is not reality. Approval for time off past legal limits (FMLA etc) is hard but possible, but for those who do not know it is possible may not get the same "deal" because they don't ask for it. HR is not helpful in advising what our legal rights are and I had to have various meetings explaining to them how I can use FMLA/PDL, which they disagreed untill I actually gave birth (same experience for other moms). Flexibility in hours is luck, depends on what section you may work in as each section has different functions, supervisors and oppurtunities. Although the County strongly supports telework, management does not support it unless it is a very paticular circumstance backed by Doctors notes and paperwork. Oh the paperwork. Most recently, the "lactation room" which was previously a lounge area that is attached to the bathroom was remodeled. New furniture was placed in there and a lock was placed, so only lactating mothers can use it. This is a great improvement."
Planner, Regional Planning
Would you recommend Los Angeles County to other women?
"If they want to get in 40 hrs in 4 days and have a Friday off"