New York Life Insurance Company http://www.newyorklife.com/

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about New York Life Insurance Company?

After working in financial services for over a decade, I left to raise my kids. When I returned to the workforce 9 years ago, I chose New York Life, and I am really happy I did. The company has a very balanced approach to enabling employees to do their best work by recognizing and supporting their commitments outside the workplace. Many of the working parents I know work really hard while at work, but are given latitude to have a life outside the office. In addition to the rich benefits they provide (on-site child care, maternity, paternity, adoption leave) there is a strong culture that recognizes the importance of work life balance.

anon2042 Corporate Vice President

Paid parental leave - 10 weeks paid for birth moms, 4 weeks for partners, and allowed to take a total of 6 months off before returning to work. Also provide benefits to help with the cost of adoption.

BlueEyes

Not many women in senior positions. I've seen many more high profile female executive hires exit the company than men. Very focused on hiring Millennials.

all of the above plus give employees the freedom to do their jobs without micromanagers.
CorpWarrior

Collegial, family oriented environment for the most part. Company says all the right things. But, the executive ranks still a boy's club and navigating the political landscape is challenging

Depending on what she is looking for out of working
Lady Louisa 11 Corporate Vice President

NYL is hierarchal and male dominated under a facade of 'nice' and 'good.' There are a handful of female executives leading traditionally female departments such as marketing and hr. These women are held-up repeatedly as examples of the 'female friendly culture.' It's not genuinely female friendly or progressive. If you have not grown-up in insurance, I wouldn't consider NYL unless you absolutely need a job and even then dig deep and do your research before interviewing.

Only if she's an actuary
Madam anon1183

Great culture of work/life balance. Most managers are flexible about work from home, which can effectively extend maternity leave. There is an onsite health center which has a room where you can pump breastmilk. There is an onsite child-care center, but it is a backup center, so you can only use it 30 days a year and there are some rules on how many consecutive days. But it's still a lifesaver. My manager is a woman, and I've met many other female managers. And every woman I've met has kids, usually 2-3. So they must be doing something to accommodate maternity leave (I haven't had a child during the time I've worked here, so I have no direct experience with the maternity leave).

Lady WorkingMomma Manager

The company has a great maternity leave policy that allows moms to take up to 6 months to bond with the baby. Although after the 8 or 10 paid weeks, the remaining time is unpaid, it is still available and that is important. The company has been good to me in the last 15 years however not all departments have the same culture that I have experienced where family is a priority for your boss as well as it is for you. The only negative I can complain about is the politics that seem to be such a twisted game that always seem to creep into the decision making process and waste a lot of precious time where we can be getting more important things accomplished.

Lady judithann24 Insurance Agent, Field office

same

Lady sfb Sales Agent

Not equal treatment.

Women Review New York Life Insurance Company for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of New York Life Insurance Company by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.4 stars, based on 9 reviews Company Website anon2444 anon2042 BlueEyes CorpWarrior Lady Louisa 11 Madam anon1183 Lady WorkingMomma Lady judithann24 Lady sfb