bmh1234

Overall, there is great opportunity for advancement for women, but this is more applicable in certain departments. Several functions are still very heavily male, and therefore the conversations and discussions can take a masculine tone that has to be "tolerated" by the few women in the meeting room.

Very dependent on department and direct manager/leader.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Advanced Scientist

Research & Development

Owens Corning for the most part has flexible work hours, work-life balance, and women in mid-leadership for the Toledo HQ and Granville Science & Technology center. I do not believe this is true for women in the plant. For a STEM career in a manufacturing industry, this is a great place to be as a woman. But I always have to qualify that with "for a STEM career" or "for a manufacturing industry"... because compared to other industry leaders in different industries, we do not fair so well. Owens Corning is in the Building Materials and Manufacturing industry. While they are "equal or better" compared to others within the same industry, is this really enough? Compared to other industries, we are not so good. 6 weeks of paid maternity leave and that's it. No paternity leave. One woman only on the board and she just got put there in the past year. HUGE gap when it comes to equality both in numbers and in pay at the various band levels. The Science and Technology center (R&D) has a very wide gender gap in leadership roles, especially among the technical track folks. The needle is being moved in the right direction, but we are behind in many ways.

You can take up to 12 weeks maternity leave under FMLA. Only 6 weeks are paid and 6 weeks would have to be unpaid OR you have to use your vacation days to get paid.

• Family Friendly Aspects?