"This only applies to the Corporate office in Pleasanton. Granted I was only here for a very short period of time, from what I saw this is pretty much an old boy's club atmosphere. First off there was a dresscode! Slacks & dress shirt with ties for men. Women tend to go with skirts, pantsuits or dresses. Nothing sleeveless. Tanks & flip flips are not definitely not allowed. Not a lot of women in the C suite. Since the merger with Albertsons I hear it's gotten worst."
Senior Video Producer, Corporate Communication
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"It really depends on the job & the department that you get in to. If you get an awesome & supportive manager you're good to go."
"I worked at two different stores for 8 years and was saddened to see how lacking in balance they both were. I worked for male and female managers and both expected a shut up and do it type of management style. Sexist comments(they only got promoted because we need more women) and lack of regard for people's family and aspirations was stunning. I quit after watching the female hiring manager try to talk a interview candidate out of working in my department citing how difficult it is. The previous department head who was female also constantly undermined me with the male store manager and area manager. He would ask if I was going to cry after being reprimanded."
Deli Manager, N/A
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"I got hired as a courtesy clerk and feel like the janitor.."
courtesy clerk, front end
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"This job seems fantastic at first. You can move up really quickly, but if you think you have a really good chance to climb further up the corporate ladder than you ever expected to because currently everything you do is golden, think again. You are just the "new kid in town", and your time in the sun will be short-lived. The first time you make a mistake, as humans often do, you will find all that support you had yesterday is suddenly being directed toward the next "new kid", and you are now ancient history. Even if you manage to not make mistake, at best, you are stuck in a position you most likely have until you leave either to retire or to start another job. The rapid rise is pretty much taken you as high as you will ever go, although for quite a few people, that realization won't sink in for 10 to 15 years."
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"Run and don't look back! Quick before you are stuck!"
Food Clerk, N/A
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"It is a good job to have especially getting through school but the job pay has changed and benifits have changed over the. Years and it makes it hard to live if you are the only one workkibg in your household"
food clerk, checker
Would you recommend Safeway to other women?
"The women work harder than the men because we are better!"
Clerk, Grocery