"Within my division, the only women who progress in their careers or get promoted are those who suck up to the men (who are all one level above them). Many of these women have attached themselves to a male manager and then almost become a "helpmate" to them (meaning in addition to doing work-related tasks, they also voluntarily take on administrative tasks for them too, which are not part of their job). In order to see their career grow, they become "yes people" to these managers. It has happened more than once in my division and with at least five female colleagues. Of the women who've been promoted to senior positions, every single one of them has followed this path. All ideas and input that is valued comes from the men in management. Even once these female colleagues get promoted, it is only to execute on the male manager's ideas. They are their worker bees. It's so disheartening to see. As our division has grown, any important new role has been filled by an outside and male hire. The vibe is that if something is valuable, important or high-profile, it will go to a man. Women are well-represented in our division but almost every one of us is stuck in the trenches doing the "menial" work, unrecognized and unappreciated."
"not sure"
Would you recommend SAS Institute Inc. to other women?
"SAS is a large company so there may be workgroups or divisions that are good for women, but not my division."
"we offer meaningful work, empowerment, and a world class work environment."
One thing SAS Institute Inc. can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Would you recommend SAS Institute Inc. to other women?
"At least in my division it's a good option in the Research Triangle. I have found management and HR generally responsive. I won't say great as there's room for improvement, but they are probably better than most."
One thing SAS Institute Inc. can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"I am not a parent so cannot directly speak to some of the points. A lot depends on your division, department and manager."
Would you recommend SAS Institute Inc. to other women?
"There is a code here that I'm still trying to understand, and it includes a reverence for the founder and a sort of fear/reverence for powerful male sales figures that seems to affect both men and women. The higher you get in the company, the fewer women there are. You need to be very aware of politics and do lots of research. If you just want to have a job and be good at it, this is the place for you--you'll be fine. You can have great satisfaction and work at a level you like pretty much indefinitely. It's trying to climb into management that gets tricky. There's lots of tribal knowledge that takes a long time to learn--you have to seek out the various gatekeepers and figure out the history (sometimes it's rather complicated)."
One thing SAS Institute Inc. can improve?
"Flexibility varies GREATLY depending on role. Working from home is highly discouraged in some roles and being present in the office is generally encouraged--I'm ok with that--but the myth of the "35 hour work week" is not really true for people trying to "
"I plan to but have not yet had children"