Stanford University

3.6

"It has good perks but not great pay considering the location and the fact it is a top university."
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"The building I work in has about a 50/50 ratio, so Stanford is definitely hiring women in my area of campus. I am fortunate to have wonderful colleagues who support each other. If it was not for the welcoming community, then I would have left two months into employment (like I said, my supervisor is not the easiest person but I think the relationship has improved). Stanford has an active sexual harassment and discrimination office and offers mandatory training for all incoming employees. Supervisors are required to take a special class on sexual harassment (they are in a position of power). Lastly, many of my colleagues are parents, married or about to be married. Given my experiences, I would suggest Stanford to other women."
One thing Stanford University can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"Stanford University full-time staff are paid for 40 hours/week. Many people, including myself, work more than that (without overtime). When I first started, I worked up to 60 hours a week. I did not choose this schedule.This schedule changed after 6 months of employment when I took charge of the situation. Given how easy it is to conform to a supervisor's schedule, be mindful not to be taken advantage of. My supervisor is not the easiest person to work with but I am slowly finding my voice again. It has been a fight to not be guilt-tripped and needled by my supervisor because I choose a 40-hour schedule (during the day!). Ask questions about scheduling and expectations during your interview."
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"The pay and hours are pretty standard "work hard so at you at least have something nice on your resume." Men and women are treated just as poorly when you're at the bottom of the totem pole in a research lab, but generally women have fewer pay raises, if any."
Research Assistant, Research & Development
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"Your experience as a graduate student at Stanford will depend almost entirely on 1) your department, and 2) your PI. If you plan to have kids in graduate school, make sure to have a boss who is explicitly cool with that, or else your life could become hell..."
Graduate Student, Neurosciences Program
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"There are a lot of women in graduate school, but fewer in the upper ranks of professor."
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"The "paid" portion is actually disability pay, for which there is a bit of effort needed to enroll and maintain. Pay is either at 55% or 60% of your normal salary. The 2 weeks unpaid is actually the waiting period between disability and CFRA benefits where they can take, on average, 80 hours from your vacation time for those two weeks if you have vacation time saved up."
Would you recommend Stanford University to other women?
"Work/Life Balance is great"