"There are some good people working there, but the culture sucks — especially within sales. Unrealistic quotas mean there is no work-life balance. It was not uncommon for people to work up to 21 days in a row to hit quota. Expect to work either one weekend day each week or alternating weekends. If you don't want to give up your weekends (as most are), you need to share that you are unavailable while interviewing. If you're looking for upward mobility with the company WITHOUT moving, be sure to inquire about the potential career paths that exist within your local office. "
"not sure"
One thing Varsity Tutors can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Account Manager, Sales
"Depends on role and manager. Working early morning hours to get off early enough pick up kids from school is a possibility."
Would you recommend Varsity Tutors to other women?
"Health benefits are terrible, as-is work-life balance in many lower-level positions. If you're looking for a position in upper management and are covered under a spouse's insurance, then these might be non-issues."
"I worked as a tutor for Varsity Tutors. The company does not support its tutors and the tutor support staff are extremely rude, slow at their jobs, and unreliable. On more than one occasion, they put down incorrect information for a student which led to a bad student/tutor pairing that wasted everyone’s time. Another time, they yelled at me over the phone when a new student (had not met with yet) did not respond to my calls to set up a session. They were also having “technical difficulties” with their website the entire time that I worked there. I have spoken and emailed with several different employees and all of them had the same bad attitude and no willingness to be of assistance. This shows bad training within the company, a low quality hiring system that hires weak workers and no commitment to their mission statement connecting students with top tutors. "
"not sure"
Academic Tutor, Academics
Would you recommend Varsity Tutors to other women?
"Varsity Tutors used to be a great organization! The culture was supportive and close knit, everyone helped each other out. We got 8 weeks of full pay(no monthly bonus) for maternity leave but starting in 2016 it switched to using ALL PTO(leaving none for the rest of the year) and then STD would kick in. The company did pay a huge percentage of the employees insurance but in 2017 its almIt's doubling. As of new management in early 2016, the culture is very cutthroat sales and if you don't make goal one month your job is on the line. You could be let go with, or without, warning. "
, Customer Service
"Maternity leave used to be 8 weeks paid in full but starting in 2016 it switched to using ALL PTO(leaving none for the rest of the year) and then STD would kick in. "