Discussion Boards

Featured Discussions
  • powered by Accenture
    Consulting Industry

Join our discussion about how to manage clients and work/life balance at the same time.

Powered by Accenture

• powered by IBM
    Women in Tech

Hear from other women in tech and support each other in this forum.

Powered by IBM

Discussion Question

I recently got engaged, will be married October 2017. My

I recently got engaged, will be married October 2017. My fiance and I want to start a family right away. My job does not have paid maternity leave. Would it be premature for me to advocate for paid leave? My initial thought process was to figure this out as soon as possible. Maybe I should start looking for another job; researching other companies I noticed that most (all the one's that I saw) require employees to have been employed for a year before being offered paid maternity leave.

If I could have my way I would stay where I am at and get paid leave.

I have a positive relationship with my boss and can talk about this with him, however; he isn't the one who ultimately makes this decision, corporate does.

Fairygodboss member web64

• Fairygodboss member

It would not be premature because the internal approval process will likely take a while, and you are helping other women who would benefit from a paid leave period. I worked with other women at previous employer to advocate for paid family leave even though I had no plans to have a child while working for that employer because it's the right thing to do. Connect with other employees that could make the collective case with you.

Also, you raise the one year employment condition to receive paid leave. You should know that in most states that one year employment condition is also a condition for unpaid FMLA protected leave. So if you don't work for the employer for a year prior to going on maternity leave they are legally not obligated to continue to pay your health insurance and other employer benefits.

Good luck!

Search our Discussion Boards

Related Discussions

I had this giant to-do list for maternity leave but now that the baby's here, I'm realizing I'm going to get a lot less done than I thought. I somehow thought I'd be able to get some reading done while my baby naps!! Anyone else feeling like there's literally nothing that's possible except getting a food and shower in?

I recently got accepted into the graduate program of my choice for Fall 2018. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should go full time or part time. My current job is fine, but it is an administrative role where I don't feel like there is room for true professional growth or skill building. Thankfully, I do have managers who are supportive. I'm considering speaking to them about continuing my role here, but part-time. Has anyone ever tried to do this with a job? Is it demeaning to my organization and my role? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Good morning! I am 9 weeks pregnant and stressed about telling work. Its primarily male bosses so I know they wont understand and I have the type of job that is revenue based and the work increases every day. I don't know when to tell, I know we do not have materinity leave pay, so I will have to get it through the state. I also know when I tell them they will ask what my plan is. I have no idea what my plan is! I mean I know for what my plan is. Through short term disability through the state I can get 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after but do I want all that before? Please any advice is helpful, I'm very stressed out! Also, I am going away on a preplanned vacation April 1-10. Do I tell before I go or when I get back?

I am about to go out on Maternity Leave and my boss got a maternity leave cover for me. I know I'm on track to get promoted when I get back from leave. I'm really paranoid that somehow this woman is going to get my new promotion/job instead of me! Anyone else have good or bad experiences with maternity leave cover situations?

Post a Question

Would you like to receive personalized, pregnancy emails directly to your inbox? Sign up now for our free week-by-week emails.

Related Articles

Advice, jobs & articles just for you.

Our newsletter is on it's way!

Just a few details, please:

*Required