When life's got you down and you feel like your strength, patience and perseverance is constantly being challenged with obstacles, it can be difficult to muster the persistence and determination you need for success.
Maybe you’re in a rut with your professional career and you’ve fallen back into bad habits. Maybe you put your blood, sweat, and tears into a project or proposal that got turned down. Maybe your home life has you lacking the courage and excitement to persevere. But whatever has stripped you of your motivation doesn’t have to be permanent; all you need is some determination, persistence, and perseverance. Getting there can be the hardest part, but these persistence quotes can help.
Everyone need a little motivation sometimes, so you’re not alone. And these inspirational quotes and sayings from some of the world’s most influential people prove that everyone needs a little help finding their persistence and perseverance boost from time to time. If you’re stuck in a bit of a funk, these 20 persistence quotes will snap you right out of it.
1. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” — Maya Angelou
2. “Making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it’s not. It takes patience, it takes commitment, and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.” — Barack Obama
3. “When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you till it seems as if you couldn’t hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that’s just the place and time that the tide’ll turn.” — Harriet Beecher Stowe
4. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” — Julie Andrews
5. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” — Winston Churchill
7. “Courage doesn’t always roar, sometimes it’s the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering I will try again tomorrow.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
8. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
9. “There are two ways of attaining an important end, force and perseverance; the silent power of the latter grows irresistible with time.” — Sophie Swetchine
10. “Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty and persistence.” — Colin Powell
11. “Persistence and determination are always rewarded.” — Christine Rice
12. “Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.” — Ann Landers
13. “Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." — Aristotle
15. “If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.” — Mary Pickford
16. “Willingness is essential in any initiation or in making any dream come true. “I can’t” often means “I won’t.” You can change “I won’t” to “I will” with will power.” — Marcia Wieder
17. “People do not lack strength, they lack will.” — Victor Hugo
18. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
19. “I long to accomplish great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.” — Helen Keller
20. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” — Henry Ford