Wellness is often talked about in the context of physical fitness, mental health and mindful eating. And with the commendable push for self-care and personal empowerment, it's also found a place in our homes, close relationships and daily lives.
But there's one place we don't talk about wellness enough, and that's the workplace. It goes without saying that hostile work environments, toxic bosses and feeling lonely at work can throw us out of balance, lowering our self-esteem and overall productivity.
So in response, we whipped up this convenient, five-step guide to help you create a sacred space you can look forward to working in every day.
What is a sacred space?
A sacred space is any room, desk or general place you can turn to for private reflection, rejuvenation and a loving reminder of who you are and who you're capable of becoming. For some people, it's a body of water; for others, it's a designated space in the home. It can even be your work desk if you follow these five steps to creating one.
1. Set an intention.
This step is super important because it asks you to identify what you hope to get out of your space. Are you looking to maximize your productivity? Hoping to find some peace of mind? Or, strike a balance between work and life? Jot these thoughts down or meditate on them (and feel free to do this step at home, if that'll make you the most comfortable).
Also, consider how you want your space to look and feel by getting all your senses involved. Would a symmetrical space help you feel more centered and organized? Could a stress ball come in handy or a scented humidifier? What about a small candy bowl or a pair of noise-canceling headphones?
The more willing you are to connect with your intention for the space, the more likely you'll be able to manifest it.
2. Fill your space with sacred or meaningful items.
The interpretation of sacred items will vary across individuals and their goals, but they can include a bubbling water fountain, a tiny Buddha, a small cross or anything else that reminds you of and connects you with your higher self. Similar to creating a vision board at home, a sacred item can reground you with the thoughts, feelings and actions that are in your best interest.
You can also adorn your desk with things that, as Marie Kondo would say, "spark joy" for you. Peruse your home for trinkets that already hold meaning like your favorite book, a tiny terrarium or a photo of your furry friend. A quick scavenger hunt for these sentimental items could check off this step with ease.
And if there's something on your list from the previous step that would help you reach your goal, go out and buy it — you have the power to make your vision come true as you please!
3. Decorate your desk with crystals.
If you're interested in going the crystal route, some great ones for the workplace are the following:
- Selenite: Also known as "liquid light," selenite is a master cleansing stone, popular for its highly-vibrational positive energy. It's most often used for clearing negativity and requires little to no maintenance, as it is self-cleansing.
- Black Tourmaline: This protective crystal is great for purifying your mind and space. Many people use black tourmaline's force field protection to clear negative thoughts, toxic energy and the cyber smog of technology.
- Citrine: Think of citrine as your pocket full of sunshine. Known for manifesting abundance and success, this sunstone aids you in defining your path and aligning your efforts toward reaching your goals.
- Tiger's Eye: This crystal works exactly the way you think it would — to channel the eye of the tiger. Use it if you want to stay focused, confident and clear on your career goals.
- Amethyst Cluster: On its own, Amethyst is incredible for reducing stress, promoting logical thinking and heightening intuition, so in cluster form, it leans on those qualities to create a sense of harmony across a team.
When it comes to choosing a crystal, there's no need to overthink; the crystals that resonate with you upon first glance are likely the ones you should go for. Many people believe you should "let the crystal choose you," so how about this crystal quiz to get you started?
4. Center yourself with positive affirmations.
Positive affirmations have increased in popularity over the years, and for all the right reasons. Not only are they easy (and free!) to do, they're also effective in redirecting negative thoughts, realigning yourself with your highest potential and shining love and light on seemingly negative situations.
Try placing a positive sticky note on your desk and labeling it as your "quote of the day." Or, responding to every negative thought with its positive counterpart. (For example, "This situation is killing me" with "What is this situation trying to teach me?")
5. Cleanse your space regularly.
Just like showering assists in cleansing the literal and emotional muck you've absorbed throughout the day, cleansing your space regularly can also do the same. At home, that could look like smudging your space with a sage wand or a stick of palo santo. At work, a piece of selenite or a bundle of sage and water in a small bowl will do.
Complement your cleansing efforts by keeping your space tidy in order to avoid clutter and alleviate the frustration of misplacing things.
Once you've created your sacred space, allow it to evolve over time to conform to your ever-changing needs. Come new challenges, emotional baggage and even opportunities to grow at work, you'll be glad to know that you have a space of your own to work with — that'll work with you, too.