You're having one of those days, eh?
One of those days where your job gets you down. Where you just can’t seem to find the happiness or motivation to get you through the mid-afternoon slump. Work can be exhausting and draining. It can make you want to pull your hair out and curse out every coworker that stops by your desk with a new request. It can make you question your work ethic, how realistic your work-life balance is, and how you ever found joy in work to begin with. Maybe a recent project you thought you did great work on tanked. Maybe you got reprimanded by a manager. Maybe you envy the work ethic or the work-life balance of your coworkers. That’s where these motivational and inspirational work quotes come in.
Here are 20 inspirational work quotes that'll have you powering back through your day in no time.
1. “The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on.” — Barack Obama
2. “I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but it should get you pretty near.” — Margaret Thatcher
3. “For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work.” — Jessica Savitch
4. "I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” — Thomas Jefferson
5. "I work very hard, and I play very hard. I'm grateful for life. And I live it - I believe life loves the lover of it. I live it." — Maya Angelou
6. "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." — Abraham Lincoln
7. "I'm a firm believer in if you work hard you should play hard. So I try to keep my life as balanced as possible to keep my sanity." — Alicia Sacramone
8. "Power means happiness; power means hard work and sacrifice." — Beyonce Knowles
9. "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well." — Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. "Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work--and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't." — Lucille Ball
11. “If your dream is a big dream, and if you want your life to work on the high level that you say you do, there’s no way around doing the work it takes to get you there.” — Joyce Chapman
12. “Sometimes there’s not a better way. Sometimes there’s only the hard way.” — Mary E. Pearson
13. “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” — Thomas Edison
14. “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” — Stephen King
15. “Without labor nothing prospers.” — Sophocles
16. “You just don’t luck into things. You build them step by step, whether it’s friendships or opportunities.” — Barbara Bush
17. “I attribute my success to this—I never gave or took any excuse.” — Florence Nightingale
18. “Success isn’t about the end result, it’s about what you learn along the way.” — Vera Wang
19. “Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine.” ― Mindy Kaling.
20. “Dreams are lovely. But they are just dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It's hard work that makes things happen. It's hard work that creates change.” — Shonda Rhimes