Alpha Natural Resources

www.alphanr.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Alpha Natural Resources to join us.

Loblolly, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

If you are starting out in the hospitality industry, this club is a great place to work. However, there are very few opportunities for advancement before you hit the glass ceiling.

United Services Automobile Association Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It is a difficult job but a great company. Benefits are amazing. Everything (promotions, salary, bonuses) are based on performance not gender.

Physicians Accounting Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be ready to deal with high school drama, even from upper management

Voice of America Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It is a government agency, so maternity leave (unpaid) is mandatory, and women save up their vacation days and sick leave in order to keep getting paychecks during their time off. Flexible schedules and telework are allowed in many if not most jobs, and some of the offices that are run by women (and some men) are reasonably fair. However, the Central News division is led by a disproportionate number of male managers whose political and sexist biases favor male subordinates, topics for news coverage, and male anchors and interviewees. Additionally, although it has long been U.S. government policy to promote an increase of permanent part-time professional positions, which are urgently desired by many employees, especially women, the agency has refused the requests of many full-timers who want to convert to schedules of up to 4 days a week.

Pathfinder International Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.3

I've worked here for about 5 years. The staff is predominantly women, ranking at all levels of the organization including senior leadership. Given our make-up, I have not attributed issues that arise as due to any gender imbalance. Our issues are more about the policies themselves, and the heavy dependence on manager decision-making-- essentially, a manager can decide to support you in pursuing greater balance between work and family (for example) but this would largely be up to their own interest and motivation. The policies themselves do not particularly support this, and if a manager prefers to default to the policy itself then (depending on where you sit in the organization and who your manager is) you may experience a particularly difficult time maintaining and pursuing your professional goals while being a working mother. By contrast, if you have an excellent manager, you may experience quite the opposite and have a great experience. Since the default for the organization is toward high workloads, high pressure, and high competition, unfortunately if you don't have a manager who makes it a priority to buffer hers or his team from these factors, then the experience can be quite difficult. This is what I have seen for others-- for myself, I have had on the whole a predominantly positive experience here. I've been able to advance, to learn, to explore new interests, and all as a working mother. I would say this is an organization in a moment of transition, and I'm hopeful that things will improve.

Vantiv, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Generally, lots of woman in all roles including many high level decision making positions. Medical Benefits are ok (spouse surcharge) decent match on 401k, lots of time off earned year 1. From my experience in the last 5 years, people managers are enabled from the top to take care of their team members within reason of course but for that reason I would recommend them for their flexibility. At the VP and higher level, there is a lot of travel between geographically distributed teams and I have observed a lot of it is last minute. Company is working towards being agile centric meaning right people over process and skill set which is an added bonus. If you can do your job and do it well, no one cares that you leave right at 5 to pick up kids or coach the little league. But you may need to check and reply to email during off hours as well as phone calls.

FMC Technologies Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Fantastic structure and work environment. They provide a lot of training tools and encourage you to be your best. They understand and value their employees and you are rewarded for doing the right thing. This company has a very low staff turn over, that alone says a lot. The only unfortunate thing is that it is predominately the Oil and Gas industry which with the fluctuations can not make you feel secure when the oil price is down like it is at the moment.

Valley of the Sun United Way Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2015

There are a lot of women who work here and the culture is family oriented. I have been employed for some time now (5+ yrs)and the work we do in the community makes you feel good. Women are treated fairly. When it comes to moving up, it is a small company so seats are limited and those that hold higher level positions don't leave.

Parallels, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

April 2015

Turn around, go home and find another job.

BHP Billiton Ltd. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

March 2015

The division that I worked in was very supportive of women and mothers (they would let me bring my children to company meetings when I had day care conflicts, allow them to play in my office as long as they didn't disturb the workflow etc, the former international CEO encouraged it- which may be one of the reasons he is now the former CEO) and allowed women to work into management positions. Other divisions around the world were still treating the professional women staff like glorified administrative assistants.