Best Buy Co., Inc. http://www.bestbuy.com/

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about Best Buy Co., Inc.?
Awesomelady3 Sales Lead, Customer Service

It's great if you don't have a life outside of work

Lady yup

Its a boys club which i woldnt mind if the guys didn't act like they were in a frat then at work.

Though men still outnumber women, there are a lot of women in upper management and at corporate. I don't feel the company discriminates or makes judgement calls based on gender, but I do believe there are still stores where poor leadership is in place, and that can create a very different experience for employees. I would get a feel for the store you are applying to first. There is a lot of room for advancement in the company.

I have worked for Best Buy for over 7 years, and I have had many different experiences, based on the store I was working at, and current leadership. Overall, I believe Best Buy is a fair company and try's to do right by its employees. The main issue I have is I that I believe they could do more to help life/work balance for women and men.
Lady Pinky & the Brain

I worked there for 6 months full time and the pressure to get credit card apps was unkind and ridiculed on a daily basis. It is not the team work atmosphere I had hoped it would be. The GM said on the first day that any complaint to HR would go directly to him and therefore to address him first before contacting HR. That is and was a huge red flag. While there I heard racist remarks and the unkindest work environment I had ever worked in. I was threatened I would lose my full time position if I didn't exceed 3 credit card apps every day I worked. Which is hard considering I worked in customer service where returns and complaints are being made. I found it to be the boys club and couldn't wait to leave. A huge disappoint in companies I had thought well of up until I went to work there.

Lady DontrustheBlue Supervisor, Lifestyles

I worked for this company for about 5 years; working my way up to Supervisor from Part Time. I do not recommend Best Buy as a fair and safe work environment for women. The best example is when I disagreed with a male manager and the male general manager on an issue regarding a young female employee who complained to HR corporate that her direct male supervisor was sexual harassing her and giving her unwanted hugs. The GM and Manager laughed it off and blame her in a leadership meeting; I was one of two females on a leadership team of ten. I asked to drive an investigation with HR and pull up video evidence to support her claim but they told HR that they would handle it and did nothing for the female employee. When I called HR to complain that nothing was done and I was being ridiculed for not being a "team player", the GM said that I was just being emotional and HR accepted that answer. Around this time, I went on a scheduled vacation, only to come back and find out the young female employee was on a random final warning for lateness' when the store in general did not follow attendance policy. The female employee ended up quitting and I shortly after because I was no longer considered part of the team. About a month after I left, the male supervisor that harassed the young female had another sexual harassment complaint against him but this one the GM was forced to deal with because the young lady's boyfriend came into the store and started an altercation with said supervisor because nothing was being done to protect his girlfriend. Only then was anything done and the male supervisor fired. I worked at four different locations and the amount of incidents I could describe would make you sick. Women was rarely promoted over male counterparts and male managers seem to favor hiring males they have worked with in other locations than female talent in the actual location. I am speaking on the NYC/NY State perspective and there are no female GM's or in district leadership. On a lower level, male managers purposely hire females to work Part Time in Home Theater or Gaming departments to attract male customers. I have seen in different locations capable candidates get turned down for a more visually appealing female to work in a department she knows nothing about to increase sales. I honestly do not shop at Best Buy now that I have left. Besides their harmful work environment, a recommendation to any customers visiting Best Buy, educate yourself before shopping due to Best Buy's complex policies, especially in the Mobile Department when changing plans or upgrading your phone (you are nothing dealing with ATT, Sprint etc, you are working with Best Buy who can change you plans but not correct issues and they will send you off to the original dealer who then cannot help because it was Best Buy who changed the plan.)

It's a fun place to work

Madam YoungAtHeart

There are opportunities available for advancement, but while many upper-level management say that they value diversity, actions speak louder than words. I have personally worked under 3 female general managers in 7 stores, 2 of which are no longer with the company. Most of the management team members that I encounter are white men. Generally speaking, Best Buy is good at burning through management, but that does not seem to be discriminatory. I have felt pressure when asking off for vacation time, or sick days that are legitimately needed. I have not yet taking maternity leave, but I suspect that I will feel the same when if and when i do while working for this company. Overall, the benefits are good, and the company offers a variety of options. There are a number of financial benefits to working for Best Buy which I would sorely miss if I do end up leaving for a different opportunity. My current experience has left me feeling tired, and wanting, but not in every situation and not every store if you are looking at retail store level. The pay is extremely competitive, and at one time, I knew that I was the highest paid hourly manager at my level, above several of my male counter-parts.

If you are the only woman in leadership, then no. If you are one of 3 or more, then yes.

Women Review Best Buy Co., Inc. for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Best Buy Co., Inc. by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

2.4 stars, based on 7 reviews Company Website Awesomelady3 Lady yup Lady anon569 Lady Pinky & the Brain Lady DontrustheBlue Lady anon367 Madam YoungAtHeart