Best Buy Co., Inc.

Louie0915

Human Resources Generalist

Human Resources

Be careful if you have a family, time off and stability is not their strong suit

Not for Pay, Hiring

blueberry

Project Coordinator

IT

Best Buy corporate is a great place to be pregnant or be a mom who needs to pump. They have secure mother's rooms in each tower at corporate. On my team, my supervisors were flexible about doctor's appointments, flexible on maternity leave, flexible on breaks for pumping, flexible on start/end time because of kid drop off/pick up. Pretty much all of my teammates had kids, so if you got that call during the day that your kid was sick and needed to be picked up *right now*, they were understanding and it was not a big deal to leave. I had to be on bed rest for part of one of my pregnancies, and was allowed to work from home for like, a month and a half. My only mild complaint is that I know that compensation on my team was not that great, and it was tough to advance -- for contractors and employees. Due to such great work-life balance, there was not much turnover on our team and I think a lot of people were willing to forgo higher wages (or maybe people had been on the team for so long they weren't aware of what their market rate should be). Despite that, it was still an amazing place to work. My goal is to return someday!

I was a contractor at corporate. The general rule on our team was that, as long as you let your supervisor know ahead of time about needing to be out of the office and as long as you got your work done, they were flexible. Work from home was to be used sparingly, though.

I was a contractor at corporate, so any time I didn't work, I didn't get paid -- hence, no paid maternity leave. I know employees have some maternity leave benefits. So, it was my decision to take off for 4 months. Even though I was a contractor, my supervisor was willing to work with me to re-hire me as a contractor after my leave. I did that twice.

Sales Associate

Sales

Be upfront about what you want and the company is fairly accommodating.

Supervisor

Sales

It is still a male dominant field, and you will get customers that refuse to work with oyu because you are a women. But the men I worked with and upper management respect you are long as you are able to do your job properly. There are many women at the upper managment level, so there is proof that Best Buy incourages and supports women moving into high roles.

Awesomelady3

Sales Lead

Customer Service

It's great if you don't have a life outside of work

Lady yup

Its a boys club which i woldnt mind if the guys didn't act like they were in a frat then at work.

Though men still outnumber women, there are a lot of women in upper management and at corporate. I don't feel the company discriminates or makes judgement calls based on gender, but I do believe there are still stores where poor leadership is in place, and that can create a very different experience for employees. I would get a feel for the store you are applying to first. There is a lot of room for advancement in the company.

Maybe. I have worked for Best Buy for over 7 years, and I have had many different experiences, based on the store I was working at, and current leadership. Overall, I believe Best Buy is a fair company and try's to do right by its employees. The main issue I have is I that I believe they could do more to help life/work balance for women and men.

Lady Pinky & the Brain

I worked there for 6 months full time and the pressure to get credit card apps was unkind and ridiculed on a daily basis. It is not the team work atmosphere I had hoped it would be. The GM said on the first day that any complaint to HR would go directly to him and therefore to address him first before contacting HR. That is and was a huge red flag. While there I heard racist remarks and the unkindest work environment I had ever worked in. I was threatened I would lose my full time position if I didn't exceed 3 credit card apps every day I worked. Which is hard considering I worked in customer service where returns and complaints are being made. I found it to be the boys club and couldn't wait to leave. A huge disappoint in companies I had thought well of up until I went to work there.

Lady DontrustheBlue

Supervisor

Lifestyles

I worked for this company for about 5 years; working my way up to Supervisor from Part Time. I do not recommend Best Buy as a fair and safe work environment for women. The best example is when I disagreed with a male manager and the male general manager on an issue regarding a young female employee who complained to HR corporate that her direct male supervisor was sexual harassing her and giving her unwanted hugs. The GM and Manager laughed it off and blame her in a leadership meeting; I was one of two females on a leadership team of ten. I asked to drive an investigation with HR and pull up video evidence to support her claim but they told HR that they would handle it and did nothing for the female employee. When I called HR to complain that nothing was done and I was being ridiculed for not being a "team player", the GM said that I was just being emotional and HR accepted that answer. Around this time, I went on a scheduled vacation, only to come back and find out the young female employee was on a random final warning for lateness' when the store in general did not follow attendance policy. The female employee ended up quitting and I shortly after because I was no longer considered part of the team. About a month after I left, the male supervisor that harassed the young female had another sexual harassment complaint against him but this one the GM was forced to deal with because the young lady's boyfriend came into the store and started an altercation with said supervisor because nothing was being done to protect his girlfriend. Only then was anything done and the male supervisor fired. I worked at four different locations and the amount of incidents I could describe would make you sick. Women was rarely promoted over male counterparts and male managers seem to favor hiring males they have worked with in other locations than female talent in the actual location. I am speaking on the NYC/NY State perspective and there are no female GM's or in district leadership. On a lower level, male managers purposely hire females to work Part Time in Home Theater or Gaming departments to attract male customers. I have seen in different locations capable candidates get turned down for a more visually appealing female to work in a department she knows nothing about to increase sales. I honestly do not shop at Best Buy now that I have left. Besides their harmful work environment, a recommendation to any customers visiting Best Buy, educate yourself before shopping due to Best Buy's complex policies, especially in the Mobile Department when changing plans or upgrading your phone (you are nothing dealing with ATT, Sprint etc, you are working with Best Buy who can change you plans but not correct issues and they will send you off to the original dealer who then cannot help because it was Best Buy who changed the plan.)