Bloom Energy

www.bloomenergy.com

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Bloom Energy to join us.

In the meantime, see recently reviewed companies in the same industry:

The Southern Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Speak up for yourself, they are listening and trying to modernize

The AES Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've had two tours at AES - the first time around was world-class, focused on employee engagement and empowerment. During the recent past, they've become more risk-averse and treat employees like something to be managed, not the drivers of the business. It's very top-down and unreceptive to feedback.

3.8

Great company, great people. However, you can definitely feel the uphill battle if you want to build a meaningful career here, there's the "good ol' boys" culture at the top and inappropropriate comments/whistling in the field.

Southern California Edison Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Depending on the team you work for women and men are treated equally. In teams that are in corporate environments I feel that this is not a problem. However, if you work onsite at power stations depending on the crew you work with it may not be the case.

3.8

It's a male-dominated industry so ask the tough questions up-front before coming to work here: flex-time, schedule, weekend work, etc.

Duke Energy Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

October 2016

A very much old school workforce. Little recognition. Managers get irritated by changes in schedule due to sick kids.

Duke Energy Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Women are treated more fairly here than in construction, where I worked before this. My department is about 5% women. The pay and benefits are good, so you can have a stay-at-home husband to support you. During outages, we can work 6 days a week for 12 hours, but usually we work 3-4 shifts a week of 12.5 hours. There is a strict hierarchical work culture. My coworkers will attack any perceived weaknesses. Fitting into the safety gear is the hardest part: everything is made for men, and they don't like whiners. Expect the room to go silent whenever you enter for at least the first year. If you think you might fit in well in the military, you may fit in here after they get used to you.

Maybe. This is a good place to work if you have a stay-at-home husband or plan to stay single.

The Southern Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for 15 years, and the company does make efforts to promote women, but I'd say the family policies are equally rough for men and women. The culture is generally not very family-friendly, BUT it truly depends on your manager and department. I've been relatively lucky over the years, but I've had friends who have been in ridiculous situations (being made to take off an hour of vacation if they had to go to a school play - even though a professional and not hourly employee). The culture trends toward the old school chained-to-your-desk from 8 to 5 mentality, but again, it greatly varies with who you work for. I've been awfully lucky over the years. They do try to promote a diverse workforce. The job is very stable. It's hard to get fired from Southern Company (or it's sub companies - Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power, Mississippi Power, Southern Nuclear, Southern Power and Southern Company Services). The provide a nice bonus, they are fairly good about career paths and they provide a nice pension, so there are good points about working here. Regarding the parental leave policy, it has been ridiculously antiquated for decades. They recently performed a study showing how many female engineers they were losing because of it, so they've made some much needed changes. They now offer 14 fully paid weeks as of Jan. 1, 2016. This is for new parents and adoptive parents as well. Before you had two weeks and could then use your vacation and sick leave and then go unpaid. Some managers hated to see their employees in rough shape, so would offer extended sick leave throughout whatever you agreed with them at 60 percent. Management is male-dominated and very southern old-school. They are making, what I consider, honest efforts to diversify, and I think in not too long we will see the fruits of that, but for now it's run by wealthy men with stay at home wives with full time help who take care of everything. At the end of the day, we will see that diversification (and already see it a bit), but it's a sad fact that most women who come up in the company through management are harder to deal with. The attitude is very much "I didn't have all these 'privileges' and you shouldn't either, which is disheartening. For the most part, male managers are much more family-friendly. The new policy is nice and workable, but I hope over time, as an industry-leader and a Fortune 500 company, they will become more generous.

Maybe. They are slowly changing their policies and in many respects it's a good company to work for. Not perfect, but good.

3.8

I've worked here for nearly 10 years in various roles. There are many women leaders within the company, and opportunities for advancement are widely varied across departments. For instance, there is a fairly structured line of progression for women engineers and there is opportunity for entry and mid-level engineers to network with women in leadership roles (for those who take advantage). But in general, there is little structure to progression in the company and many people (men and women) take advantage of the lateral moves in order to advance and gain experience.

Maybe. Some departments within the company are better than others.

3.8

There is a fantastic group of women here and a strong women's network. You can get the camaraderie and support if you look for it. However, there is an old-fashioned approach to parental leave, though there are active attempts to improve it. Lastly, there seems to be a retention issue of women in higher-level positions and director/officer level women are hard to come by.

Maybe. It seems like there is a retention issue for women at higher levels - not clear on why. Additionally, the parental leave benefits need to be strengthened.