Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at CafeMom to join us.

Human Design for Us All Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

March 2018

Very nice place to work, but it is a small family-owned online company, which does not leave much room for advancement.

Newton Europe Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

December 2017

Stand your ground but learn to do it in a way that can’t be called aggressive

It’s consulting. We need to be realistic about what we have to deliver for our clients and how we need to support our teams. Flexibility is so different from what everyone else has to do that it seems like special treatment which could backfire.

Yankee Candle Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The same thing I shared in my previous statement. I think that speaks volumes.

What I did not know prior to working for Yankee Candle, which was not mentioned to me until my second week of employment is that they have a no room for discussion, 1 minute late policy. If you are more than one minute late three times you will lose your job. 1 MINUTE PEOPLE!!!! I worked at a location where I was about 20 years older than the rest of the staff who were all from the local College. The problem with this is you have 20 yr olds trying to manage an older mature person and it seems they aren't mentally capable of doing so no matter how grown they may seem. As a parent of 3 twenty-something year olds I feel my children are very mature, yet not one of them is mature enough to be a manager of an entire Yankee store. The other thing that angered me beyond belief is they hired people knowing they didn't have a car and relied on public transportation. Then when something goes wrong and the MTA train doesn't get there within that one minute late policy, they fire the people knowing full well they rely on public transportation whose timing is certainly beyond their control. My first week being employed there a 21 year old single mother was fired after she sprinted from the light rail running at full pace toward the store and the manager didn't like her and was watching from the window praying she would be late so she could fire her. She actually relished the idea which in my opinion is sickening. As a person who was a single mother for 15 years of my life I quit that day and will not reapply. This is a very sad situation as I love the company itself and all of their products. What's worse is the district manager is only about 4 years older than the store manager and they sat there and laughed about this girl getting fired. They planned this out the day prior knowing if she was late they were firing her. I heard their entire conversation. So the next day, after she got a babysitter, took the time to get ready & come in to work, they let her go right there on the spot. I've never seen such a thing in my life.

Management seems to want the younger, college aged employees front & center. Older people have put applications in just to have them stuck on the bottom of the pile. Also, anyone who isn't "in the clique w/ Mgmt." is quickly disregarded, their concerns go unheard & are definitely unheeded.

WorldBridge Partners Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Good place to work overall but still has the old boy network type of mentality.

Not for Pay, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

Flexibility is a great feature of this employer.

RCO Legal, P.S. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

September 2016

Not a bad place to work, great dresscode, good hours

Meijer Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
2.3

There are a lot of women working at Meijer in most of the departments at headquarters and they are working in all levels of the company. That being said, it is not what I would call a "supportive environment". Meijer is old school and regardless of the prevalence of women, still has that "Boys Club" vibe. My greatest advice is to seek out mentors actively and ask for specific examples when you're given feedback. Too often feedback will come in the form of "there's a perception issue" without context or how to improve. If you act as your biggest advocate and take control of your destiny you can succeed here, but there will be men that treat you like a PA or will take credit for your ideas if you let them.

Alyeska Pipeline Service Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for over 5 years, and my experience has been great! I have a supportive supervisor who encourages a work life balance, and helped me navigate the HR policies through maternity leave and then a 9 month stint on 3/4 time after maternity leave. I also work with a leadership team that is working to increase diversity of all kinds at all levels. That said, there is still a lot of work to be done. I think that one's experience with maternity leave greatly depends on your supervisor: as I said, mine was great, but I've heard from others who have struggled, because policies are not always clearly outlined or understood, or supported. In terms of gender equity, it's still a male-dominated industry. The company has and continues to make strides in developing and promoting women. There is still work to be done, especially at the field-supervisor level, where women are few and far between.

Goldstar Energy Group, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I'm in energy sales, which is generally populated by men. I'm the only woman in on my team...all the other women are in administrative positions, except for our COO. If you are self motivated and open to working very hard, you can make a great living for yourself. The company is always looking for Independent Contractors and their pay rate is excellent.

Central Garden & Pet Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Bare minimum maternity leave policy and still very much a good old boy company. Even when women have major responsibilities they are not given the salaries and titles to match.

Barnes & Noble Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
2.6

Perhaps it is just my store I've worked at for the past four years or perhaps because it's a dying company and won't last the next 15 years, but I do believe many careless employers are hired for the corporate jobs and really do not value employees actually working on the floor. I've experienced many sexist comments with my store manager and from customers mostly coming in to buy books from sexist and/or racist authors. I was also cheated out of 25 cents an hour when Michigan's minimum wage went up. Prior to this event, I was getting paid the same as my male co-worker who did the same (and slightly less) work that I was getting paid to do. When I found out my male equal was getting paid more for the same job it was heartbreaking.