City and County of San Francisco

sfgov.org

FLinSF

Human Resources

It's a great place to work for women because they care ad value balance. They've made excellent strides in providing information, access and support for breastfeeding mothers. They also have an amazing Leave of Absence policy for new parents.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

nema

Principal Accountant

Accounting

Great medical benefits, job security, nursing rooms are becoming more and more common, most offices are close to BART.

Some folks in leadership are more flexible than others (not necessarily dependent on the department). Also, some job classifications have more flexibility than others (the City is pretty rigid when it comes to how jobs classes are defined).

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Lady Kittimeow

Associate auditor

Controller

There are a lot of women, including women of color, working here at all levels. The work force is very diverse. For instance, my unit is headed by a black woman with two adult children; the two lead managers are a black mother of two young children and a Filipino gay man; and the managers are a white mother of a newborn, a latina, a black father of a toddler from Sierra Leon, a black mother of an infant, a biracial mother of three, and a white father of two adult children. Maternity leave is 16 weeks paid (supplemented with leave, but also even if you have no leave), and you can take up to a year off worth approval (and people have gotten that approval). I took 5 and 7 monthes with my two pregnancies.

I have worked for the City and County of San Francisco for 6 years, and most of the departments that I worked in were great! The salaries are set (and public information), so I never worried about being under compensated compared to my coworkers. There is one department that I left and would highly recommend to be avoided - the Public Utilities Commission. The environment was extremely stressful, and women were treated unfairly by being bullied and overburdened, while the men were generally more relaxed with a normal work load.