Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at City of Edmonton, Canada to join us.

Ashwood Gifts Ltd Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

August 2018

Personally I would suggest most people, let alone women, to avoid working at this organisation. Ashwood Gifts Ltd is run by a family of Christians from the Plymouth Brethren/Exclusive Brethren community, who are very insular as part of their core nature. Research the PBs before accepting a position in this organisation to check that you know what you're letting yourself in for. At the time I worked there, three women worked in the same office as me. The co-founder's sister showed plenty of signs of being unhappy; her aunt seemed to have resigned herself to being seen as a lesser person; one of the warehouse workers was the designated 'tea-lady'. Outside of the office I physically worked in there was also the younger co-founder's wife, with whom I had a limited amount of contact, who did not respond to my efforts to say hello and introduce myself but was very quick to point out any mistakes I made. Regarding mistakes, I started the job feeling confident that I would do well, however I received minimal training. At first I took this to mean that I was doing a good job, but later it became apparent that most of the workers in the office did not want to interact with me (as I said, the Plymouth Brethren are worth researching before you commit to a job like this. Notably, PBs tend to discourage one-another from talking to non-PBs. This extended to training me properly). There is more that I could say here. This workplace offers a budget for free lunches but refuse to sit with you at lunchtime; they are overall very sensitive to anything even vaguely approaching colourful language; communication within the organisation leaves a lot to be desired (especially for outsiders like me. I once received an Instant Message between two of Ashwood's family members talking negatively about me, and I although I reported this to the co-founders, the reaction and any kind of satisfying resolution was very much lacking. Plus, when I handed my notice in, I waited for the co-founder to inform the rest of the team. When this was not mentioned in any group email or team huddle I asked when he was going to announce my leaving to the group. He told me he already had. I'd simply been left out of it).

To say that they are a little bit flexible is technically true but admittedly unhelpful: my working contract stated that I must dress modestly and was disallowed from wearing trousers. Since I feel more comfortable in trousers I asked, when I joined, to wear them and they accepted this. However, I am sure that I have already hinted enough that there are serious core issues with the way this company views and treats women, and I believe these need to be addressed but are unlikely to be. In addition, despite my job being administrative and the industry the company traded in being fairly full of late-starters (many of our customers opened at 10 or 11am, and even then seasonally,), the co-founders' religious beliefs supported starting work very early in the morning. My initial contract was for me to start work at 7am. Due to circumstances at home I was unable to accept a start quite so early so re-contracted for 7.30am. They accepted this. It may also be worth noting that this company had me working for as many hours as they could. Just because I started at 7.30am it didn't mean I got to leave early. I left a while ago but my leaving time was 5.30pm.

Eliminate the negative impact of the founders' religious beliefs about women, which currently lessen the prospects of women in this workplace.

Benevera Health Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

August 2018

Great company with great culture, mission, and vision. Two of three most senior executives are women, including the CEO.

A lot of staff work from home, lots of flexibility and autonomy.

Northland Public Library Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

June 2018

It's a largely woman dominated company, and so far everyone seems to be fairly supportive of each other. There is some division between departments.

Librarians probably have the best time getting time off. While there are certain staffing needs, everyone is very flexible.

Dubuque Community School District Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2018

Stay neutral on anything in public. Agree with whatever the Boy's Club is demanding - on the surface, at least. Most of the time, they don't check on it anyway, they just wanted assurances of compliance.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

per child. I had many.

I think it's the atmosphere and morale. It's heavy and dangerous to be on the wrong side of some people. It's not a team or even a group of people who like each other much.

Edmunds Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
2.3

April 2018

There are certain departments which promote women and are women run but run into the reverse problem of excluding men under the guise of not fitting into that team’s culture.

There are departments and pockets that cultivate and perpetuate “boys clubs” which lead to a culture of excluding and alienating those who may not fit into what they perceive as one of them.

Cordell & Cordell Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

January 2018

With a firm of about 200 attorneys at least 3/4 are women. However, almost every male attorney is promoted within a couple years.

Most offices are flexible. Occasionally one of its offices will frown upon the flexibility. With any nationwide firm it can vary.

They offer 10 weeks of paid maternity leave for attorneys that have been with the firm 6 months or longer.

Promote people with actual management skills.

Smith and Partners Lawyers Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Currently the firm is 85% women. Women make up 70% of Management. The firm is very family friendly and focused on work life balance, health and wellness at work and at home. Super friendly, super flexible.

VSCO Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

VSCO is an inclusive environment where I am motivated to own my role and make a big impact. The team is kind, hard-working, and driven to build an amazing product and company.

Our leave policy is very flexible and family friendly for maternity, paternity, and adoption.

Ecornell Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for over 3 years and while the majority of the company is made up of women, very few are in leadership roles (1 out of 8 positions). Parental leave is given to everyone regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, or birth/adoption, but you aren't allowed to claim short term disability to supplement the seriously lacking 4 weeks at half pay. You can supplement with your vacation and sick time, but then you're left with nothing if you take the full time off.

New York City Board of Elections Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

February 2015

Very politically charged. Procedures change within a minutes notice.