Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at D. E. Shaw & Co. to join us.

Interbrand Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.4

May 2018

We are actively working on elevating and hiring more women into leadership roles.

Barton LLP Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

April 2018

Don’t do it .. your integrity ethics professionalism and licensure will be challenged and may get compromised

Corruption trickles down from CEO

ArcelorMittal USA, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

If you are intelligent woman looking to work with other intelligent individuals and maybe even have a mentor, with aspirations of a successful career, unfortunately you will not find that here.

It depends on your position and race.

The answer is not just promoting more women into leadership positions, more importantly QUALIFIED women into leadership positions. Otherwise, promoting people, just to make numbers hurts everyone and the organization as a whole.

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Nice people but budget cuts are seeing hard and stressful times

Address daily issues

Plugable Technologies Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The founder is a sexist man masquerading as a progressive Bernie Sanders supporter, who thinks that a "salary secrecy office culture" is acceptable and legal in America (FYI, it has been illegal since 1930). He has made it clear to his employees that he hates HR and HR Managers, and instead of an HR Department Plugable has a neglected "Suggestions Box" that Bernie has failed to look at in several months. He also claims to have an "open door" policy, but when I told him that he and my direct manager were overwhelmed and should consider delegating more tasks to make things more efficient, he refused to acknowledge that him and my manager being overloaded is a serious problem for the company at large. I am partially the reason Bernie implemented a "Salary Secrecy" policy in the first place. I happen to have been friends with 3 people who worked there prior to ever knowing Plugable even existed, and I was married to my husband and dating him long before then too. So obviously, friends and spouses share salary info. Bernie didn't like this, especially because in the process of discussing it with my coworkers, we discovered that I was being paid about $5,000-$15,000 less than all of my male coworkers in the same title. Bernie also made a job listing for my position with a salary range, and my salary at the time (February 2017) was about $2,500 less than the minimum range posted for my position, which I had been working in for over a year at that point. Bernie eventually realized that it was a liability and gave me a pathetic $2,500 raise just to get me barely over the minimum salary and avoid a lawsuit. A week after my husband decided to "do the right thing" and tell his manager that he was looking for another job (mainly due to Bernie constantly telling him that he's "close to the cap" for his salary at Plugable), the Founder decided to terminate me without consulting with or even notifying my direct supervisor ahead of time. Bernie then confirmed with my direct supervisor afterwards that he was firing me now, because it would look less like retaliation against my husband if he did it BEFORE my husband left the company. Bernie began my surprise, retaliatory termination meeting with the statement, "It's tough when married couples work for the same company." My husband and I have worked for the same employer in the past, and we are completely professional. So he fired me because of the actions of my husband, and said nothing but positive things about my work ethic and skill-set during the termination to make things more confusing. He also denied me the right to work remotely from home in spite of my rights to accommodation provided through ADA, while he allowed multiple male coworkers of mine with the same job title and who were totally healthy to work remotely without issue. Bernie also attempted to deny my rights to an individual health insurance plan as an employee of Plugable, and attempted to convince our Benefits Coordinator that I didn't need my own policy because I could just pay to be an add-on with my husband's policy. Thankfully the Benefits Coordinator was a very straightforward woman and said, "No, she has a right to her own policy, because she's also an employee here". The fact that it needed to be said at all just shows how inherently misogynist the Founder is. If you have physical pain related health problems, Bernie thinks it's all in your head, especially if you're a woman. I happen to have multiple chronic pain conditions that have been diagnosed and treated by multiple doctors for the last 7 years. Bernie "gifted" me a book that essentially says, "Pain is just internal rage, and if you express your rage your pain will magically disappear". Every time I explained my physical pain conditions to Bernie he'd talk about how he "threw his problems at the mountain" and got stress relief from mountain climbing and exercise. That's great Bernie, but you can't throw rheumatoid arthritis or my winter episode of gastritis "at the mountain" and I've already been practicing yoga almost daily for years as a way of managing pain and stress. Try telling a disabled retiree with rheumatoid arthritis that they just need to do some mountain climbing and "express their internal rage" and their arthritis pain will be totally gone. Since I'm a 20-something, he probably doesn't believe I even have doctor established diagnoses. He also never asked for doctor's notes in spite of me going into the negative for sick time by over 60 hours. Another thing Bernie did is directly insult me because of my age. I was the second youngest employee at the company, and one day I emailed Bernie to clarify a company policy that hadn't been established yet. I told him that I asked my direct supervisor about it already in my email, and that it wasn't clear that a policy was already in place (Bernie hates putting company policies on paper, because then he can actually be held accountable for them, like remote work privileges and salary secrecy). Bernie responded with, "Asking me after you already asked your supervisor is like a child asking one parent for permission, getting a "no", then trying to ask the same thing of the other parent". So Bernie basically called me a child because I asked for clarification on a company policy, and then erroneously thinks that I went over my supervisor's head by asking Bernie directly, even though I told him in the email that the supervisor never gave me an answer. I found out from friends around the office that he's shown sexism towards basically every woman that has ever worked there. Of the 9 women he's hired into the company over the last 4 years, 4 of them were terminated by Bernie. Meanwhile, only 1 man was terminated in that same time span, in spite of a huge majority of men working there. Coincidence? Absolutely not. In summary, Bernie is an ageist, sexist, misogynist man with an ego the size of a planet, who now refuses to take any of his employees seriously (even the menfolk now too) and is watching as his Amazon empire slowly burns to the ground with all of the terrible decisions he's been making as a result of being overloaded. I don't recommend women, people with health problems, or men with opinions on business operations work at this company. Bernie has said he plans to sell Plugable someday, and hopefully the person he sells it to will be a more decent human being.

Not for Pay, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

Employer offers flex time, but then tries to tell certain employees (myself included) that they're expected to be in the office by no later than 9am.

Agency Revolution Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Keep your resume and skills sharp. You won't have much support while working there, and the executive team/family has made some risky financial decisions in the past after periods of growth and then had to do layoffs.

Peco Energy Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The policies and compensation are fair, but this is a male-dominated industry. It can be challenging for women to get into leadership positions and to be treated the same as men. It is much harder as a female to gain the amount of respect as my male counterparts with similar backgrounds and work ethic. There is a great network of women in the company, and many excellent female employees to learn from.

Cratejoy Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I think it can sometimes be limiting to view women has the only support at a company - many times it's also great men who can help promote and encourage women in their next role. Although the founders are both men they are focused on mentoring and promoting any individual, regardless of sex.

Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

My prior job was at Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman and Dicker, a national law firm, where I worked for 2 years. Even though lip service was given to diversity, there are currently 7 women attorneys and 25 men attorneys in the office in a western U.S. city where I worked. The culture was male dominated, with all of the subtle and not so subtle characteristics that come with a traditional caste system. The office where I worked was originally formed by the merger of a male partner from one firm, along with his lackeys, and a male partner who left another firm, taking a large book of business and male and associates who were elevated to partner level at the new merged firm. During my time there, the heads of the two seminal groups were always at odds. After I left, one of the two original founding partners of the office was ousted. He is the partner who had hired me. He was replaced by a female partner, so things may have improved for the women lawyers, but I doubt it. During my tenure, the most powerful equity partner, who had not hired me, was a total bully who lacked communication skills. Other male attorneys cow-towed to him even while he was publicly mistreating female associates. The bully partner did not hesitate to berate female associates in public emails. Overall, there was a lack of leadership in the office. The firm has a 401K but no matching. About 180 hours billable per month were required, which is not terribly high but not as low as at some firms where I have worked. Overall, from a female perspective, the experience was a nightmare. I cannot speak for the male attorneys there.

Edfinancial Services Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2015

Great working conditions for women and men. Gives time to family once in a morning shift. Many supervisors are women just as men.