General Electric

• Top rated company 2016
  • Top rated company 2017
3.9

Human Resources Manager

I am definitely valued at my site and feel valued as a GE employee.

adoptivemom

There are pockets of wonderful! It really does matter who you work for regarding flexibiity and family friendly policies. The highest levels of the company are still an "old boys club".

I adopted my child and at the time there was no paid leave for adoptive parents. This has thankfully changed!!

GECinderella

GE has provided an incredible career for me spanning multiple internal businesses (GE Aviation, GE Power, and GE Digital). The ability to transition to new positions has allowed me to continue to improve my business & technical skills and still have a consistent job with the same employer. They believe in growing all of their employees skillsets and have continued to invest in me with continuous training programs.

Happyatwork

The sky is the limit. With locations and positions worldwide opportunities abound for talented, motivated individuals. You will be challenged to your limit. The culture supports flexible work arrangements such as part-time, working from home, non-standard work schedules, and transitional work following maternity. Leaders tend to be capable and bright; mentors and countless networks are available. The work environment is intense with a direct correlation between results and recognition.

Exempt male employees currently receive up to 10 weeks paid parental leave with one year of service. Exempt women receive a minimum of 6 weeks maternity leave plus up to 10 weeks additional paid parental leave with one year of service.

Job growth

Entry level training programs a great and a career accelerator. After that you are completely dependent on your manager for support/promotion. Once you get higher in ranks, pay differences/promotional opportunities are more limited for women.

Policy is getting better, but ability to use it still lacking. Perception/reality that using full amount will hurt your career is still there.

Maybe. Entry level opportunities are great learning experiences. Mid-career, depends on your manager.

greatideas

I have been working in the GE Capital arm and it has been very flexible.

Hypatia

Analyze the manager's behavior very well during the interview. Negotiate a fair salary, as both men and women are over-worked and underpaid here with abysmal or nonexistent raises during the downturn. Ensure your work has high visibility, as many other employees are keen to steal the credit for your work. Do a lot of self-promotion, and you will win.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. In my experience at GE, I have seen both very fair and unfair treatment of women. Certain managers are fair with their employees, understanding the need for work/life balance for both men and women. I have worked with new parents who have used the excellent parental leave policies, which encourage mothers and fathers to spend time with their infants. On the flip side, some managers extensively use the "prove it again" bias with their star employees to withhold pay increases and promotions. I wonder if that would have been the case if the employee had been male. Also, very qualified women with long years of experience have been stuck in entry-level positions for 5+ years without raises or promotions and had to leave the company to get promoted. There are very few women near the top of Oil & Gas. The notable exception is Maria Claudia Borras. It seems like most women are entry-level for long periods of time. I think this company is a mixed bag for women, but it can be changed if more women work here and ask for fair, market-value pay up front. Review for GE Oil & Gas

Great company to jump start your career!

• Family Friendly Aspects?

I left GE seven months ago b/c of the sale of GE Capital...

Madam anon1236

Communications Specialist

Communications

Leadership roles are certainly composed of more men than women, but GE has made a real effort to diversify. Maternity leave changed on 4/1/16 and is now much more generous: up to 12 weeks paid and an additional 4 unpaid. They are also very good about flexible work arrangements and offer wellness rooms at almost all of their sites. This is a review for GE Capital

Lady Compensation Analyst

GE has great flexible policies but the culture of the individual businesses still determines the how many employees take advantage of those policies.