James Hardie https://www.jameshardie.com/

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about James Hardie?

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at James Hardie to join us.

In the meantime, see recently reviewed companies in the same industry:

Owens Corning

100% would recommend
4/1/16, 1:05 PM

Owens Corning for the most part has flexible work hours, work-life balance, and women in mid-leadership for the Toledo HQ and Granville Science & Technology center. I do not believe this is true for women in the plant. For a STEM career in a manufacturing industry, this is a great place to be as a woman. But I always have to qualify that with "for a STEM career" or "for a manufacturing industry"... because compared to other industry leaders in different industries, we do not fair so well. Owens Corning is in the Building Materials and Manufacturing industry. While they are "equal or better" compared to others within the same industry, is this really enough? Compared to other industries, we are not so good. 6 weeks of paid maternity leave and that's it. No paternity leave. One woman only on the board and she just got put there in the past year. HUGE gap when it comes to equality both in numbers and in pay at the various band levels. The Science and Technology center (R&D) has a very wide gender gap in leadership roles, especially among the technical track folks. The needle is being moved in the right direction, but we are behind in many ways.

You can take up to 12 weeks maternity leave under FMLA. Only 6 weeks are paid and 6 weeks would have to be unpaid OR you have to use your vacation days to get paid.

PPG Industries, Inc.

100% might recommend
3/31/16, 11:05 AM

It was good, not great. I think they care more about stock prices than employee morale

Maybe. If I knew their strengths and who their boss would be to ens ...

Carmeuse Lime & Stone

100% might recommend
2/14/16, 2:58 PM

No female representation in management other than HR.

Maybe. A good stepping stone

Pioneer Sand Company

100% would not recommend
1/31/16, 3:07 PM

I've worked here for over 5 years and while I don't think the women here are given many opportunities for advancement they also do not respect or support one another. The moral is very bad and the women there are very nasty and petty with one another. Very unfortunate. Doesn't help our struggle for equality in the workplace.

Valspar Corporation

100% would not recommend
10/17/15, 10:13 PM

Very few woman in this chemical company outside of HR and Finance - deemed the "soft areas" the male Chemical Engineers leading the company. Woman who are in the company do well if between the ages of 25 and 40. After 40, woman lose their "ability" to be promoted, unlike the men whose careers really take off in their 40s.

8/28/15, 4:54 AM

I've worked here for a little over a year. It is a mainly male-dominated industry but I feel the women that work at SW are treated fairly. Management roles are attainable and we aren't limited by our gender. (I will edit this later if possible.)

8/26/15, 6:32 PM

I've been working for this company for about 2 years now and I can say that it is definitely a male dominated environment. 90% of the sexual discrimination comes from painters, contractors and homeowners. It is also a harsh place to work when you're 5'1" because for me I have to use the ladder to get product from the second shelf all the time. I don't get any sexual discrimination from my coworkers, but thats because my store is the only one in my area that has 3 women and 1 man working. The best way to deal with discrimination from customers is being tactful when talking to them. If a customer asks for a male employee my usual response is, "We do have one, but I can help you with whatever it is you need." This usually works and if they have a strange question, "Let me look into that" is my response. It's like throwing shade, but more professional. Women are also apparently the only ones "really good with color", but we all know that isn't necessarily true.

Maybe. Good starter job and a good workout

8/24/15, 5:10 PM

I WORKED FOR TEN YEARS, AND SAW SEVERAL NEW EMPLOYEES (MEN) HIRED AT 50 cents an hour less than i was earning. They had no experience but hired with nearly the same rate of pay.

Maybe. WOMEN MUST WORK HARDER FOR RESPECT

8/21/15, 10:14 PM

Great company. Some management very immature and need a refresher course on HR policy.

Maybe. depends on the district

8/20/15, 11:33 PM

There are industry stereotypes you must overcome being a woman. Once you've earned the respect of your customers, it's smooth sailing. The first year can be tough. You will benefit from having or most certainly will develop thick skin. There is sexism running rampant, but if you choose this career path, the opportunities are amazing. Just be prepared....

Maybe. It takes a certain type of woman!