National Governors Association www.nga.org/

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about National Governors Association?

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at National Governors Association to join us.

In the meantime, see recently reviewed companies in the same industry:

RAND Corporation

9/18/16, 8:30 PM

RAND seems to support women well. There are a large number of women in leadership positions and an acceptance of part time work schedules.

Brookings Institution

6/15/16, 4:33 PM

Depending on the department, you might work with mostly men or mostly women. There is a Women's Mentoring Network that is very active at Brookings.

We get 4 weeks of unpaid leave but can use our 5 weeks vacation and 3 weeks sick leave to fill in, plus short-term disability.
Train directors and managers to support their staff, and get rid of the ones who are unwilling to.

Ballotpedia

4/16/16, 10:50 PM

Ballotpedia is a ROWE-based work environment, meaning you can work however many hours a week you wish, no questions asked--as long as you get the work done. Additionally, most employees work from home, making the job optimal if you are a working mom or just want to be at home more. However, the company offers no paid maternity leave.

Council of State Governments

100% would not recommend
3/12/16, 9:11 PM

Collegiality and hard work are valued here. Work life balance is part of the conversation here, however it can be elusive. Significant travel can be required, depending on the position, and expenses are initially covered by the employee, to be later reimbursed by CSG. This can be a significant financial burden on recent graduates just getting on their feet.

Institute For Policy Studies

2/14/16, 6:55 PM

Management team is currently all women except the Executive Director.

Atlantic Council

0%say women are treated fairly
100% would not recommend
2/9/16, 9:24 PM

No women in leadership. Men within my department promoted faster with more salary growth.

The Aspen Institute

50% would recommend
1/21/16, 9:02 PM

Men tend to dominate the highest leadership positions, but otherwise as with many non-profits, we're in a mostly female environment. I was treated well after maternity leave, and since I had a great, caring boss, was able to have a flexible work schedule after I returned. This varies greatly from team to team, and I also had a careless HR manager tell me how "lucky" I was to "get paid to do nothing" for three months while I was on maternity leave. The institute pays for 2 weeks of family leave, with your standard 6 weeks of disability pay and the rest covered by sick/vacation.

Maybe. It depends where within the institute you're working. Basic HR policies are just average (the maternity leave is really nothing to write home about) but I happen to work with a team which values flexibility, and it's made it a great place to be while raising a young baby.

1/20/16, 8:20 PM

There are a lot of women working at the company, and everyone has a progressive mindset. There's more camaraderie than cutthroat competition.

11/20/15, 3:22 PM

I worked here for 3 years (2 years in this position) and I really enjoyed the work environment. You are surrounded by progressive policy wonks who drop knowledge on you everyday. I will say that like most environments promotions can be a bit political and they have an in/out policy for entry and some mid-level level staff positions. If you don't move-up in 2 years, you pretty much get pushed out. Entry level staff are very much screwed on salary as are many mid-level staff. I basically got a 30% increase in salary moving to a similar level position at another non-profit.

Maybe. They have a habit of underpaying entry and mid-level employees

10/24/15, 12:47 AM

I worked here for three years and the attitude of the senior leadership is that it's best to squeeze and burn through young, idealistic staff regardless of gender, but of course that falls especially hard on women with young children. In that vein, during my time there different employees received different maternity leave benefits depending on how much they negotiated with HR, and were told not to discuss their benefits with others. I'm not sure if it's been standardized since. And although management is dominated by women, that does not translate into mentorship. In fact, younger women often seem to be viewed as competition and kept from opportunities that would help them grow and develop. Who your direct boss is makes a big difference in ability to grow and quality of life, but those things aren't institutional priorities for senior leadership.