"Opower is trying very hard to be a great place for women. But, they falter due to a strong "Dude-Bro" culture."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"It depends on which team you work."
"The people are great and the mission was worth it, but the employees did not feel valued by the company. Communication was poor and oftentimes responses to complaints were answered unsatisfactorily with "just suck it up" or "there are worse things.""
Software Engineer, Engineering
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Make sure your manager is doing as much as he (and it's almost certainly a "he") can for you. Push him, if you need to."
Product Manager,
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Don't know how the new Oracle regime will do."
"Opower has been great to me. We recently sold to Oracle, not sure what will change or if I will even have a job anymore. "
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Merger with Oracle happening, not sure what's to come. "
"No women at the top. Some diversity efforts in play, but no awesome results yet. "
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Not enough women in positions of influence "
"Great place to work - recommen. Too bad it just got bought. "
One thing Opower can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"It was a great place to work, although the Executive team can and should do more to make sure women are promoted into leadership positions. That said, who knows how the company will be in 6 months after the acquisition goes through."
One thing Opower can improve?
"Very uncertain time given the acquisition"
"We recently succeeded in increasing parental leave to 16 weeks paid for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers. However, with the acquisition, it's unclear if Oracle will honor this policy."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Opower was recently acquired by Oracle, so it's unclear how, if at all, the corporate culture will shift. According to Oracle's website, only 29% of their employees are women."
"Opower is a high intensity company with a vibrant, young vibe. Due to the long hours and stress levels, though, it does seem that there is a higher than normal level of burnout (vs what I've seen at the other software companies I've worked for). I think the company IS STARTING TO go out of its way to make up for past issues with diversity but they have a lot of ground to make up so it will take some time. Pay is less than what I would expect given work load but I'm not sure if that discrepancy leans more toward one gender or not (I have no insight into pay)."
One thing Opower can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit facetime)"
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"It is a great place to work if you have kids. As a women (with or without kids), there are defintely some improvements that could be made. For example, leadership is mostly (white) males. "
, Client Success
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Come work here, but be ready to fight for yourself, especially in a technical role."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"I like my job, I like the work that I do, and I like my coworkers. But I'd be lying if I said there weren't things I see here that bother me a lot. A team that hasn't hired a woman in years, women who are promoted later than their male colleagues, a woman who makes less than a man at a lower level in the same job, or reviews that use words like "abrasive" or "overly confident" to describe women. "
"Day-to-day life is pretty fun and colleagues are wonderfully supportive, kind, and intelligent. However, success (growth, promotions) largely requires waiting to be "plucked" up by an advocate, and much of the leadership team are males so it is difficult to find a female role model to emulate, get advice from, or be advocated for by. "
One thing Opower can improve?
"Don't have promotions and performance visibility be so dependent on luck of who your manager is and on your personality type. "
, Client Success
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Opower is trying to make great strides in being more woman-friendly. They've recently increased primary care leave to 4 months, however secondary care leave is still at 4 weeks. They should really increase this to 4 months as well to be truly family- and woman-friendly. They've also published their diversity and inclusion board, and say they are making an effort ot hire more women and underrepresented minorities into tech and leadership positions. So far they have no been successful, so it remains to be seen how they do in 2016."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Opower has better intentions than it does data or performance. There is a real systemic bias issue, and that won't change until top level leadership changes. That being said, many women have very positive experiences on the day to day, it's just when trying to achieve higher levels of leadership that we seem to hit a ceiling. "
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"have had mixed experience. Some aspects great, others, not good. "
"Opower is one of the most family friendly employers in the DC area."
One thing Opower can improve?
"They pay the difference between your STD and regular salary"
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"They know there is disparity and are working on it"
"This is a great place to work for all employees. Benefits and work life balance can't be beat."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"I've been with Opower for 3 years and while I love aspects of it, there are some major gender and racial issues. Senior leadership team is nearly all male and the attitude of many coworkers is one of constant, low-level dismissal. It also feels like the bar for women to be promoted is significantly higher than that of men. The cliche of women being promoted on performance while men are promoted on potential is appropriate, and this is contributing to the gender disparity in leadership. Some departments are doing better than others, but in general I wouldn't recommend the company to female connections without knowing who they would report to."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"The company talks about promoting gender equality but women are docked for things like more traditionally "female" communication styles when it comes to review time, while men who are blatantly rude, dominate conversations unnecessarily, and pretty clearly attach less weight to women's perspectives are praised."
N/A, Client Success
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Opower has made an open commitment to gender equality and empowering women. This is great and I generally believe women and all people are treated fairly, however mid and upper-level management is very male-dominated and generally on the younger end (under 40). I believe there are unconscious biases that work against women, especially mid-career women who are experienced but have come in from the outside of the company. There are "circles of trust" that are hard to crack. There are mid-level women with far more expertise in specialty areas than their managers and senior leadership, but they are either not asked for input, or their input is not valued as highly as their male counterparts and/or those individuals who have been in the company for longer."
N/A, Sales Group
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Early-career, yes. Mid-career, reluctantly."
"All of senior management are male. The one senior manager who is female is a personal friend of one of the male senior managers. Her predecessor was fired without ceremony or explanation. Very few females will rise through the ranks at an equitable rate as their male counterparts, especially in male-dominated departments. Maternity leave is good- 4 months- but career growth is not."
N/A, Sales Operations
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Maternity-friendly but rough breaking through the glass ceiling"
"Management is very male-dominated. Maternity leave is only three weeks, after you use all your PTO and then your short term disability. Sad state of affairs, though in general, the company is aware of the problem. Remains to be seen if they do something to fix it."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"I have been at Opower for 3 years. Some teams are very woman friendly and some have a lot of bias. Upper management is definitely "bro" culture, but they appear to be getting better. My team was wonderful and my manager took criticism to heart when I sent him articles on unconscious bias. Our team is now gender balanced and his policy of resume name/pronoun scrubbing has led to a lot more diverse interviews and hires (in terms of race and gender). Other parts of the company are VERY bro-y. Our engineers are mostly male, our client support, and especially our Sales is overtly and covertly hostile to women."
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"Track your successes. Talk about them. Broadcast them. Fight for higher salary and title."
TechOps, Technical Operations
Would you recommend Opower to other women?
"It's a tough place to succeed as a woman. Come prepared to fight for your seat at the table."