Pathfinder International

www.pathfinder.org
4.3

Madam anon802

Many women in leadership positions, but growth opportunity is limited by size of org and specificity of position skills.

Lady Sleepwalker

Parental leave is available to mothers and fathers. After using vacation, personal time, and sick leave, staff is paid 2/3 of salary up to 12 weeks. Staff with plenty of time accrued can get 12 weeks fully paid, but newer staff with less time accrued take some pay loss to get to 12 weeks and/or come out of parental leave with no vacation/sick/personal left.

Lady Opinionator

I've worked here for about 5 years. The staff is predominantly women, ranking at all levels of the organization including senior leadership. Given our make-up, I have not attributed issues that arise as due to any gender imbalance. Our issues are more about the policies themselves, and the heavy dependence on manager decision-making-- essentially, a manager can decide to support you in pursuing greater balance between work and family (for example) but this would largely be up to their own interest and motivation. The policies themselves do not particularly support this, and if a manager prefers to default to the policy itself then (depending on where you sit in the organization and who your manager is) you may experience a particularly difficult time maintaining and pursuing your professional goals while being a working mother. By contrast, if you have an excellent manager, you may experience quite the opposite and have a great experience. Since the default for the organization is toward high workloads, high pressure, and high competition, unfortunately if you don't have a manager who makes it a priority to buffer hers or his team from these factors, then the experience can be quite difficult. This is what I have seen for others-- for myself, I have had on the whole a predominantly positive experience here. I've been able to advance, to learn, to explore new interests, and all as a working mother. I would say this is an organization in a moment of transition, and I'm hopeful that things will improve.

Maybe. My area of the organization (focused on programming) has long been challenged by issues of overwork, high stress, and structural issues that can make it challenging to balance work and family. That said, there are dedicated initiatives actively working to address this now. Let's see...