Rochester Institute of Technology

www.rit.edu

transplateny

Program Assistant

Research & Development

Be clear about what your expectations are upfront regarding your role to ensure that there is alignment, but also to see what the organization brings to the table to retain your interest and loyalty.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. Depends on department.

Lady Librarian72

I worked there for 2 years. My fellow professors were for the most part supportive. The head of the department however would not stop making inappropriate comments about my body and my sex life. He is a man in his 60s with daughters my age. I was extremely uncomfortable and embarrassed to bring it up with someone else. In addition to that, in this school the students are mostly male. I had to deal with some incidents because some of them were sexist. It only happened in one of the 10 courses I taught while I was there though. So overall it's an ok workplace but do expect sexism from the students from time to time. I wish something could be done about old guys that still think it's ok to harass junior female colleagues but unfortunately I think no amount of education or workshops on inappropriate behavior can change those guys. I did find many opportunities to network though. They do have programs for networking for junior faculty and some are tailored for women.

Maybe. It was not horrible but there were some issues.