RTI International www.rti.org

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about RTI International?

Do not work here if you want start a family. There is no paid maternity leave. HR is not helpful or creative in structuring leave options. It feels like RTI wants my labor, but does not support my professional development or my needs as a mother.

Only maternity leave is FMLA, and 6-week supplemental leave. Many women take short-term disability, which pays 60%, but you must pay premiums to use it. Disability only applies to mother's health, not baby's. That means that a mother can't use her disability to care for an infant who comes home after a hospital stay.
vibrantlife

n/a

Lady C Project Coordinator, IDG

Flexible working schedule is great, but it is common practice to be available on email or the telephone outside of core hours. Travel for work over the weekends is not accounted for in the work week.

The benefits for pregnant or new mothers are not great, but flexible work schedules are available and an important factor to me
Madam Anonymous

The company offers flexible schedule; your hours just have to add up at the end of the month. This is great for fitting in Dr's appointments or in case you need to leave early or come in late. Working from home or working remotely is totally fine for most positions; I knew many women who moved for their husband/partner's job and were able to continue working for RTI. However, if those women were not already in a senior position it was hard to be promoted when working remotely. Maternity leave is just cobbled together PTO and disability, but RTI is quite ok with women dropping down to part time after having kids, or transitioning back to full time slowly. Again, though, once someone drops down to part time it is hard to climb the ladder, as I'm sure it is in most places. And since family medical insurance is rather expensive, it's often not affordable to come back part time. Leadership is mostly men, and men seem to get ahead faster and get away with more. Men are rewarded for playing fast and loose while women are penalized for it. It is difficult to move up once you're in, so new people who negotiate harder are often paid far more than people who've been at the organization for several years. Only way to get significant a pay bump is to leave and come back. 401k contribution is pretty good (8%) but it takes 5 years to get fully vested.

RTI offers a flexible schedule and is generally good about letting women come back from maternity at part time. However, it is clear that you are trading a shot at leadership positions by scaling back your working hours after having kids, and flex time often translates to "work more but do it from home." Leadership positions seem to be held by men despite most people working in the international development / education space being women.
Lady Washingtonian Project Management Specialist, International Development Group

I've worked with RTI for about three and a half years. I love the environment - I work with brilliant, experienced, passionate colleagues of all ages. Most of my colleagues are women aged 25-50 - though the more senior members of our team and of the company in general are all men. There is no maternity leave policy (you have to take short term disability), though the hours are extremely flexible. Many members of our team have children (the majority, in fact) - so most of my colleagues flex their hours to accommodate their family schedules. RTI is very generous in that respect. I do find that salaries between women and men are disparate - though RTI seems to be working to address pay inequity (slowly). I'm a more junior member of the team, and I don't really see many promotions at the junior or mid-level. It seems that most people have to leave the company and then return before they receive substantial pay raises or promotions.

RTI has some ground to cover in terms of equal pay and treatment of women. Virtually all of the executive leaders are men, and there is no discernible policy regarding maternity leave. Staff are required to take "disability pay/leave" instead.
Lady Malinka

There are many women working at RTI, a few in leadership positions, but there is no fully paid maternity leave. Instead, women must pay into a short term disability leave policy, which they must be enrolled in prior to conception, in order to get 6 weeks of 'paid' leave (80% pay). Because I wanted to take more than 6 weeks of leave after giving birth, I used nearly all of my saved PTO to take another 6 weeks. There are accommodations provided, at least in some buildings, for nursing mothers who need to pump, and there is a daycare subsidy, but only for one pre-determined facility and only for full time care. There seems to be some disparity in pay for men and women, but overall it is difficult to advance at RTI. Large salary increases are very rare, unless a person leaves and comes back, or leverages another offer. Men who contribute less than women seem to be accepted in ways that women wouldn't be.

A lot of the flexibility that is available to women is dependent on who her supervisor is.

Women Review RTI International for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of RTI International by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.5 stars, based on 6 reviews Company Website vibrantlife Lady C Madam Anonymous Lady Washingtonian Lady Malinka