Sandia National Labs www.sandia.gov

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about Sandia National Labs?
Madam MightWorkForever R & D Science & Engineering, Computer Science, High Performance Computing

I worked here a number of years ago, was gone for quite a while, now back for about 12 years. Much progress has been made since my first experience, especially with work schedule flexibility and the number of women in management positions. A lot of women work in science and engineering positions. The number of women in management is improving as women work their way up (the current President and Lab Director is a technical woman promoted from within, a first for a national lab). In the day to day work environment women in my area seem to be treated equally. There are some lab-wide programs to give women networking and mentoring opportunities.

Lady IsanEngineer Engineer

Sandia is very big and your experience depends mostly on which department you are in. There are many women at Sandia, mostly in managerial roles and support roles. Only 20% of technical positions are held by women. The work is novel and interesting. Collaboration, mentoring, and learning are valued. Employees have flexible work hours, sick leave, maternity leave, and a medical clinic onsite. Scientists and engineers have to conform a certain stereotype to fit in. It's a boys club. You can succeed if you work harder than then men around you. At the corporate level, they say they want to hire more women, but there are no policies to make it happen. Sandia is a much better place for women in business, HR, and management than it is for women in technical fields.

It depends on the department
Lady Photon Electrical Engineer

I have worked here for six years and have never felt gender was an issue in my advancement. The workforce is very family-oriented - maternity, and paternity leaves are well-supported by management. There are individuals who are sexist, but in general the company culture is very supportive of both men and women.

Lady mrs_bunches R&D Senior Mechanical Engineer, Weapons Subsystems

I've worked here for 5 years and it is my first position out of graduate school. Overall happy with the company and the career progression so far. I'm happy we have the first woman president for the DOE labs and I think women are treated fairly and with respect. The work is often stressful and politically driven but the people are enjoyable to work with.

I've worked here for 3 years and there are a lot of women working here, both in management and in professional roles. There are more women than men in my field. Women are treated fairly and the work and schedules are flexible which is a benefit for parents. I have never taken a long leave of absence so I am not sure how this affects employees or what the benefits are. Our annual raises and bonuses are better than most other companies located nearby. I am not sure how the company compares nationally. It can be very bureaucratic but overall, a great place tot work.

Lady archigirl Facilities

I've been at SNL for 4 years and I see lots of opportunities for women at all levels. My management has been extremely supportive of my career advancement and is willing to go to bat for me.

Lady taco HR, HR

I think women have to make an effort to be treated fairly - but the organization is listening and making positive efforts.

Lady 50%of the population

It has improved over the years, mostly due to grass roots efforts. It is a highly competitive environment and difficult for technical women be accepted and considered for teams, more as a result of implicit than explicit bias.

Lady PhDEngineer

Some within the company seem to truly be dedicated to the recent corporate diversity and inclusion efforts. However, the majority seem to have little interest in these initiatives and/or don't have reason to take them seriously. Support from and seeing women at the highest levels of leadership is a plus, however the nature of 'the culture of STEM' is such that it can sometimes be difficult. Including a lack of diversity in interviews and hiring in my division.

Lady EngineerChickPhD

Male dominated but fairly supportive of women. Three different people at the lab assumed I was male before they met me (I even have a feminine first name). I believe all three of those people were women, coincidentally (some were admin assistants). Other than that, seemed fairly supportive. I was just there as an intern

Women Review Sandia National Labs for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Sandia National Labs by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

4.1 stars, based on 11 reviews Company Website Madam MightWorkForever Lady IsanEngineer Lady Photon Lady mrs_bunches Lady anon827 Lady archigirl Lady taco Lady 50%of the population Lady PhDEngineer Lady EngineerChickPhD