The Cook Political Report

cookpolitical.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at The Cook Political Report to join us.

Creative Visions Foundation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This Foundation is run by women who are caring and passionate about what they do.

Construction Specialties, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Only 1 woman on board of directors; all top level execs are older, white, male - NO diversity at upper levels of mgmt; female owner dies not promote respect of women at the company

University of Providence Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

There are a lot of women in leadership roles but they are paid peanuts and not really the best role models.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

depends on your direct report

Varsity All Star Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be prepared to not have a weekend life. Be prepared to spend a lot of time in airports. Be prepared to work anywhere from 8-12 hours per day, both Saturday and Sunday. Be prepared to spend most of your pay in paying off your credit card to pay off your meal expenses (a credit card is a must, unless you always have at least $300 in the bank at all times, plus almost all hotels require a credit card on file for incidentals, even if you don't plan on using it--in most hotels, it's automatic $110 hold on your credit/debit card. And last, but certainly, not least, be prepared for very little sleep.

Allegheny College Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Work/life balance is excellent. Administrators are fair and the shared governance works well across all levels of employment, from hourly staff to admins to faculty. Everyone has a say in the process.

Blue Ridge Partners Management Consulting, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be cautious and go into this company with eyes wide open. A lot of the work is extremely interesting, and the shorter nature of most engagements means you'll get a lot of experience, fast! Most of your coworkers will also be very friendly and collaborative. I have generally had a very positive experience in that sense, and I have grown substantially as a consultant. It is particularly notable that a small firm like Blue Ridge would have such a strong training and performance management program - we have an abundance of online and in-person courses, and most are top-notch. However, it's probably not a coincidence that our leadership team (managing directors and principals) is very white and male, with only 1 female. Working from home can offer great flexibility that would appeal to women in theory, but perhaps because we play in the PE space, the work, hours, and travel are much less predictable than they might be at a bigger consulting firm. Keep in mind that most of the senior men have stay-at-home spouses, which may explain why they don't seem to make an effort to make projects more predictable. I don't know that there's discrimination per se (women are supported and do get promoted at similar rates to men), but I also don't think there's any particular sense of urgency to increase diversity. The topic of maternity leave comes up over and over, and the partners seem to brush it aside. As of now, there is no company-paid leave, which is disappointing and also makes our company very uncompetitive benefits-wise in the world of consulting. And if you decide to get out and join a bigger consulting firm with better benefits? Prepare for an uphill battle. We have a very vague non-compete agreement, which - despite its in enforceability in virtually any jurisdiction - the powers that be may use to intimidate you into staying and/or not taking a new role. Don't take the bait - hire a lawyer to draft a release agreement and move on gracefully. It'll be money well spent.

Since we don't have offices, there can be flexibility when you're working from home (e.g., can drop off/pick up kids, can do a doctor's appointment/errand during the day). However, I've ended up traveling A LOT more than I was told I would (almost every week) and it's very unpredictable - I usually don't know where/if I'm traveling until less than a week in advance. This can be quite stressful, and makes it hard to plan.

There isn't any paid maternity leave, unless you count partially-paid disability. However, there is fairly generous unpaid leave. One woman I know took 6 months.

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

July 2016

Most leadership positions are filled by women. There's a lot of emphasis placed on mentorship and room for upward mobility.

The Bristal Assisted Living Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Run away! You will regret thinking you will be happy. There is no "happy" at the Bristal

Horrible attitude towards all staff. Fear based culture. Often will post a position while someone they want to fire is still in it.

Miller Coors Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

There are a lot of women working here, both in support roles and mid to upper-level management roles. I think this company is just starting to become aware that it could become more gender-friendly, and there is evidence that work is being done to make it happen. I am optimistic that it won't just be a "flavor of the month" initiative.

The University Of Texas at Arlington Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for two years and have faced various levels of sexism and outright discrimination. Our department is not very tolerant of working parents and flextime is not supported. Each department on campus is different and some others may be more accepting.