The Walt Disney Company

3.6

Merie

Disney really is a magical place to work and there are so many benefits. There is a lot of room for growth in both policies and culture change around diversity, and steps are being taken in the right direction, but women aren't on equal ground yet.

Lady alwaysleadingtheway

It was a good company to work at and move up the ranks. Most of the team members were women sprinkled with gay men. There's a cap on how much you earn at each level and once you get to Publicity Director you can remain in that role for years until a spot opens up in management. Maternity time off is average. The HR team was hardly ever helpful. They had a solid Mentoring program which allowed you to network with people from other divisions.

Cast Member

Merchandise

Women and men were equally represented in roles of all levels, save the highest executive tier. I was always impressed with the integration and the opportunities afforded to everyone regardless of gender or any other differentiating characteristics.

Lady ChristmasFairy

It's a great family company for the benefits. I haven't been pregnant so idk how the maternity leave works. It seems like they are *trying* to change. Putting women in more leadership roles, just not sure how long things like this take to execute. I think in general it's still a boys club, but the company was founded on that mentality anyway. I do, however, believe that they are aware of the problem and want to change it.

Lady liberty53000

Long hours, too many bosses.

Lady Nini

I've worked here for 15 years and there are a lot of women here, but management is predominantly male.

Lady *moxie*

Director of Marketing

Networking and who your senior-level advocates are is everything here...not necessarily about the work you do, but rather who you know and how much they will do for you. There is some (not-so-subtle) gender bias on the creative side I did notice at the highest levels, but generally women and men are treated equally. However, it is important to note that the majority of the leadership positions are staffed by men due to the good old boys network. This is why finding a male advocate who will actively support and push for you is key - this is a lot harder than it seems because most everyone is focused entirely on promoting their own careers vs. helping develop those below them.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends on your division. Terrible work environment full of egos and backstabbers on the Studio side, much better in Interactive and the Networks.

Lady WhiteUnicorn

Custodial Cast Member

Disneyland Custodial

The management training here and the managers you will find here are going to be the best ones in the industry. I have never again had such good management. The training that you will get here for leadership will stay with you throughout your subsequent careers. I really do not have anything negative to say, other than some petty coworker stuff that can be like a high school atmosphere...but that remains pretty much everywhere and you rise above it. I loved my time working there and would have stayed had I not left to pursue a career in Engineering. It was an awesome job to have in college.

Lady Nicole

Sales Associate

Walt Disney World

I've worked for the Disney Company 4 separate times. First time as a housekeeper, then a merchandiser (both of these I was in the college program), a Graphic Design intern, lastly as a sales associate for the Disney store. My first time as a housekeeper, I would have told my self, "Do NOT pick this job!" Disney failed to mention they expect you to clean 16 rooms in an 8 hour day. Too much work to me but if you think it's worth $8.50 an hour to haul around a 50 pound "cart" then maybe you'll be better at housekeeping for Disney. The next time when I was a merchandiser I enjoyed myself so much more and made lifelong friends. I would advise women, don’t pick your favorite park to work at if you’re asked what’s your favorite park. The more popular the park the harder you will work. As an intern, I would advise you to always have a backup plan in case Disney does not decide to hire you on a full time basis. I.E. in case you’ve only been there for 6 months, now you need to break your lease at your apartment, figure out home to get home and find a new job. Lastly, as a sales associate, do not except working in a Disney store is anything like working in Disney World. The stores are way more sales driven and far less “just have fun with the guests” driven. I hope this advice helps.

Lady Tremaine

The people I work with are great. Upper Management is not very good at listening to suggested improvements, although they are constantly asking for ideas. Men are treated better overall, to be frank. I've never had an need with maternity leave but my female colleagues say the company is very generous to those who have had a need.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at The Walt Disney Company in the past year?

say gotten better