Director

Academics

Tufts employs a number of accomplished women in prominent roles.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Document everything you do and get commitments in writing! Journal your ideas and dates you made proposals or presented ideas, so when someone else takes credit for it, you have it documented. Keep track and keep a secure copy of all your salary and performance reviews because HR will not release them to you upon request, should you wish to dispute your pay compensation.

Again, this depends on your supervisor and/or school policy. Some are very rigid and stifling.

They didn't make this easy and getting information and forms was horrendous. Confidential information was not confidential and HR conveyed it to other staff (their friends) and I was embarrassed that my private information was released to colleagues I barely knew.

Maybe. Employment by department and school varies, but the pay for women is definitely much lower for women. The advancement and promotion of women is nearly non-existent. Good Non-tenure track/hourly women employees who are strong, just leave. Women must work much harder than their male counterparts and still do not receive the recognition and pay they deserve. Women are held to different (undocumented) standards. Furthermore, it is not a very diverse environment and hourly-paid employees are treated as the lowest caste. Department chairs are not chosen for their social abilities or management skills and each chair has too much automony to apply their own standards to the people under them. There is no consistency in evaluation metrics. Chairs typically have no leadership experience and can not work with women as peers, only as subordinates. Employees who try to improve the environment by bringing issues to HR or to the administration find it is a waste of their time. It is much better to be a student than an employee at tufts, as long as you are not a woman or LBGTQ.

Be careful and don't stay too long - you'll miss out on promotions and raises.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. I can speak to the department and school where I worked; not for every department at every school.

Advancement

I worked in University Advancement for 2 years. Overall the culture is excellent: equal treatment for women and men, positive and respectful, people appreciate working hard while still laughing and having a good relationship with colleagues.

Intern

I worked in just one department and cannot speak to the University as a whole, but my department seemed fairly balanced. Gender diversity seems to be of importance to them and I felt like my time and skills were of value.